Founded in 1958, the American Association of Retired Persons serves as a powerful advocate for older Americans. Today, there are nearly 38 million members that enjoy a host of benefits, including AARP discounts on dining, travel and entertainment. In association with The Hartford, AARP also offers car and home insurance policies designed to meet the needs of older adults. The Hartford is an insurance company that has been around for over 200 years. It is a trusted provider in the United States and lends AARP insurance additional credibility.
AARP auto insurance
AARP offers a full range of property and medical car insurance coverages and discounts.
If you are responsible for an accident, you can get medical payments coverage.
- Personal injury coverage that covers you and your passengers at no-fault to cover medical expenses No-fault insurance covers you regardless of fault. This coverage is not offered by AARP in all states.
- Collision coverage to help pay for the repair or replacement of your vehicle following an automobile accident.
- Comprehensive coverage will help you pay for any damage to your vehicle that is not caused by an accident. Comprehensive coverage typically does not cover items taken from your vehicle, such as laptops or cell phones.
- To cover broken windows or windshields, full glass coverage is required. While comprehensive coverage may cover broken glass, it also has a deductible. Full glass coverage has no deductible. AARP doesn’t offer full coverage in all states.
- Towing services are covered by car towing coverage in the event of an accident.
- Rental car expense coverage to help pay for a rental car if your vehicle needs repairs following an accident.
- If you are responsible for an accident, bodily injury insurance will pay for the medical expenses of another driver or another driver’s passenger.
- When you are responsible for an accident, property damage liability covers the cost of repairing or replacing another driver’s car. Property damage liability also includes property like mailboxes and fences.
- If an uninsured or underinsured driver causes an accident, you can be covered by the Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM). In many states, you will need to have both uninsured or underinsured coverage. UM/UIM coverage can cover your vehicle’s repairs and replacement if you are at fault for an accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver.
- Personal umbrella insurance is used to cover medical expenses and property damage that are beyond your liability coverages. If another driver sues, personal umbrella insurance is a great option.
- In the event of a loss, gap insurance may be able to pay the difference between your auto loan amount and your settlement amount.
- If your car is totaled, you could be eligible for new car replacement coverage. This covers the cost of purchasing a vehicle with the same make, model, and features.
- RecoverCare could pay for your home services if the accident results in you being unable to do basic tasks. The AARP can help you locate a trustworthy, approved shop in its vast network of repair shops.
- Guaranteed repair work at authorized shops for a lifetime.
- Vehicles equipped with tracking and alarm systems will receive a discount on anti-theft devices
- For vehicles with the right equipment, safety features such as seatbelts or airbag discounts are available.
- Discounts on vehicle fuel types for hybrid and electric automobiles
- Young drivers can get driver training discounts if they complete an approved training course through their insurer. Driver training discounts are offered by AARP for drivers aged 21 and younger in most states, as well as Georgia’s under-25s.
- Discounts for defensive driver courses that are approved by an insurance company
- Bundled insurance discounts available to automobile owners who combine their auto insurance with an AARP homeowners/renters policy. Bundling your policies can help you save up to 5% on your AARP auto insurance.
- Policyholders who pay all premium up front in one payment receive a discounted rate called Paid-infull
AARP homeowners insurance
AARP helps add financial protection for your house with a variety of homeowners coverages. Plus, you may save on your homeowners insurance premium when you take advantage of the AARP discounts they offer.
- Your home and any attached structures like garages or workshops are covered by dwelling insurance. Your primary homeowner policy is dwelling insurance. It covers heating, plumbing, and electrical wiring.
- Insurance for other structures covers detached structures such as fences, sheds, garages and sheds.
- Personal property insurance covers your personal property, including appliances, clothing, and furniture. Personal property insurance does NOT cover expensive jewelry and artwork. AARP has other policies that can protect your most valuable possessions.
- If your home is damaged by fire or other covered losses, loss of use can pay to cover hotel accommodation and rent.
- Liability insurance pays legal fees for someone who sustains an injury on your property or takes action in court.
- If someone is injured while on your property, medical payments liability insurance will pay for their medical expenses.
- Bundled coverage discounts are available when you combine your homeowners policy with an AARP Auto Insurance Policy. Bundling your homeowners insurance with AARP can help you save up to 20%
- Discounts on home security and protective devices for homes with burglar alarms or deadbolt locks, smoke alarms, sprinkler systems, and/or sprinkler systems
- Retiree Discounts for those who are retired or who work less than 24 hour a week
Ratings, customer satisfaction, complaints, and reviews from AARP
J.D. Power and Associates conducts research on car insurance companies to find the best in the business. J.D. uses a 1,000-point scoring system. Power ranks car insurance companies based on U.S. regions using a 1,000-point system. This includes overall customer satisfaction, policy options, pricing, billing process, and customer interaction.
J.D. does not include AARP Insurance. The Hartford, which offers AARP insurance is included in the J.D. Power ratings. In its 2021 U.S. Auto Insurance Study, AARP Hartford insurance ranks fourth among the top car insurance companies in Florida, with a customer satisfaction score of 842. The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) reflects a below-average customer complaint index for The Hartford, with a score of .36.
Top Reasons to Consider AARP
Retirees looking to enjoy AARP discounts during their golden years can look into AARP homeowners insurance. Bundling a home insurance policy with an AARP auto policy could help you save even more.
RecoverCare coverage, in addition to the AARP discount for policyholders who are retired, is also worth noting. The Hartford will pay for all costs not covered by Medicare or your health insurance after an accident with a vehicle. This includes cooking, cleaning, transport, and general home care. AARP Hartford coverage isn’t for everyone. Policies are geared towards older drivers. They also lack discounts that younger households may appreciate such as rideshare or student discounts.
Peace of mind knowing that you won’t lose your AARP car policy as you get older is a priceless benefit. You may also be able to renew your auto insurance policy for life if your premiums have been paid and your driver’s licence is valid.
Additional policies available through AARP
Many seniors enjoy a retirement filled with lots of toys and games. For them, AARP and The Hartford also offers:
- All-terrain vehicle coverage
- Insurance for classic cars
- Insurance for golf carts
- Recreational vehicle insurance
- Snowmobile insurance
- Boat insurance
- Commercial auto coverage
Bundling vehicle insurance with other types is a great way to save money. AARP offers a variety of coverages for all types dwellings.
- Condominium insurance
- Flood insurance
- Renters insurance
- Umbrella insurance
Questions frequently asked
What information does an agent need in order to calculate an AARP auto insurance quote?
While the internet is the best way to obtain a quote, it’s also possible to call the agent to request a quote. The agent will need to know your age, location, type of car you drive, annual driving mileage and information about your driving history to help you find the best quote.
How can I file a claim for AARP?
AARP The Hartford offers three ways to report a claim. Online homeowners or car insurance claims can be filed through the AARP Hartford insurance website. You can also call a toll-free claim number or use the mobile app.
Are there any senior insurance discounts offered by AARP?
For access to AARP’s quality insurance products, Americans over 50 are eligible for membership. AARP home insurance may offer a discount if you are retired or if your work hours are less than 24 hours per week.
Is AARP able to sell insurance for businesses?
The partnership between AARP and The Hartford means that members have access to a wide range of financial and insurance products. AARP The Hartford provides all types of insurance for businesses, including personal insurance. This includes workers, data, workers, vehicles, and many other things.