Maryland’s average cost for car insurance is $767 annually for state minimum coverage and $1,877 for full coverage. Maryland requires that you have insurance coverage in order to register your vehicle. It is also required that the vehicle be tagged every year. The average car insurance rate in Maryland is not the same for all areas. Some cities might have more options for affordable auto insurance coverage through top companies.
What is the cost of car insurance in Maryland?
Your location is a major factor in determining how much car insurance costs per month. Full coverage costs $1,877 annually for Maryland residents. Maryland drivers pay $1,877 per year for full coverage. Although rates in Maryland are higher than the average cost for car insurance in America, which is $1674/year, there are ways to lower rates. Whether you are looking for quotes, or switching providers , you might be able to find the right company and best premiums. Auto insurance rates can also be determined by your driving record, age, car type, commute time, credit score, and other factors such as your driving record.
Maryland auto insurance rates by company
Each car insurance agency in Maryland sets their own rates. These rates will vary based on your driving history, where you live, and what coverages you require. While some companies offer the lowest rates, others may offer incentives that make it more worth paying the premium for the right driver. Below is a chart that shows you the average car insurance rates for full and minimum coverage. It uses the same driver profile.
Maryland auto insurance rates by location
Below are the rates for Maryland’s top 20 largest cities. The ZIP code where you live can have an impact on how much you may pay for auto insurance.
Maryland car insurance rates based on age
Maryland’s car insurance rates can be affected by your age, particularly Maryland. The average Maryland driver’s annual premium cost is $600. Those over 50 and 60 tend to have the lowest car insurance costs, while those below 20 can expect to pay more.
Maryland driving record can lower your car insurance rates
A clean driving record in Maryland can help you keep your car insurance costs down. Your driving record is what determines your auto insurance rate. This means that if you get a ticket or are involved in an accident, it could cause your rates to rise significantly. A DUI can increase your average auto insurance cost by more than 50% due to its severity.
Maryland: How to Save on Car Insurance
There are many ways to save money in Maryland if you want to lower the cost of auto insurance. These tips will help you get the best car insurance price in Maryland.
- Bundle with your home: You can often take advantage of the multi-policy discount if you have a condo or home. A multi-policy discount may be available to renters who bundle their renters insurance and auto. The discount is usually less than home insurance bundles.
- You might be eligible for lower rates if you drive less than 11,500 km per year. This is the average driving distance in America. Some companies do not offer mileage discounts. However, others offer pay-per mile policies for those who don’t drive a lot. This could help you to get Maryland auto insurance at a lower price.
- You could be rewarded for safe driving habits. Many auto insurance companies offer usage based telematics services. This involves plugging in a device to your car or using your phone to track your journeys.
- You can save money on Maryland car insurance by shopping around. Compare the same coverages with different car insurance companies to find the one that offers the best coverage at the lowest price. This can help you save money and not sacrifice coverage.
- Discounts: Many car insurance companies offer discounts that can be combined. This could help you save even more money. You can save money on Maryland auto insurance by taking advantage of discounts for safety features, good grades, safe driving, accident-free, and joining affinity groups.
Questions frequently asked
What is the cost of car insurance in Maryland per month?
Although rates can vary depending on driving history, zip code, vehicle type and driving profile, the average cost for Maryland car insurance is $156 per month for full coverage, and $64 for state minimum liability coverage.
What amount of Maryland car insurance do you need?
Maryland’s minimum liability coverage is $30,000 per person for bodily injuries, $60,000 per accident for bodily injuries and $15,000 per property damage. Uninsured and uninsured motorists must also meet the same minimum liability requirements. A minimum of $2,500 per person is required to provide personal injury protection (PIP), though you can sign a waiver to opt for PIP insurance.
Why is Maryland’s car insurance so expensive?
Maryland’s auto insurance premiums are higher than those in other states due to the density of its population, the amount of thefts, vandalism, and accidents, as well as weather-related events. Maryland also has many well-known cities like Baltimore and Salisbury. The Insurance Information Institute indicates that metropolitan areas tend to have higher auto insurance rates.
What can I do to make Maryland insurance more affordable?
There are many ways to save money on Maryland auto insurance. If you own an older vehicle, you might consider dropping full coverage to save money if you are able to pay the repair or replacement costs. To reduce your premium, you could increase your deductible. However, you must ensure that you are able to pay the higher deductible in case you have to file a claim. A high credit score can help you get lower Maryland premiums.