What is the cost of car insurance? Average Rhode Island car insurance rates cost $749 for minimum coverage, and $2,018 to cover full coverage. There are many factors that influence the cost of auto insurance, including Rhode Island’s minimum requirements as well as your car’s make/model. Your zip code, driving record, age, and choice insurance provider are next.
What is the cost of car insurance in Rhode Island?
A variety of data points are used to determine Rhode Island’s auto insurance rates. Providers look at:
- Driving history
- ZIP code
- Make and model of car
- Credit score
- Maximum coverage
Every driver has a premium that changes with life. The state average for full coverage is $2,018 and $749 respectively. This is higher than the national average of $1,674 or $565.
Rhode Island car insurance rates determined by company
Below is a table that shows how important it is to shop around for the cheapest auto insurance company. Companies don’t charge as much as the average state. Rhode Island drivers have many great companies to choose, depending on their needs and other factors.
|Car insurance company||Minimum coverage: Average annual premium||For full coverage, the average annual premium|
|Quincy Mut Grp||$805||$2,071|
Car insurance rates in Rhode Island vary by city
Below is a list of the 20 most populous cities in Rhode Island. It also shows their average premiums. This will show how they compare with the state’s average for full coverage ($2,018). Although some cities are more populated than others providers charge drivers who live in certain ZIP codes more, on average.
|City||For full coverage, the average annual premium||Increase of % in the average annual premium|
Rates for car insurance in Rhode Island based on age
The average car insurance rate in Rhode Island is heavily affected by an individual’s age. Younger drivers are more likely to file claims than more experienced drivers. If drivers have a clean driving record, it is clear that there is a shift by the time they reach 25.
|Age||Average annual premium in Rhode Island|
*16-year-old calculated based on parent’s policy disclosure
Rhode Island car insurance rates based on driving record
After a driving conviction, the average cost of Rhode Island car insurance takes a dramatic turn. A DUI, speeding ticket or accident on your record will result in you paying a lot more for the same coverage.
Below is an example of the average increase following a single conviction. The increase will be greater if you are a repeat offenders.
|Accident while driving||Average Rhode Island full coverage premium||Increase of % in the average annual premium|
How to Save on Rhode Island Car Insurance
The average Rhode Island car insurance rate or the average cost of your age will not affect the price you pay. You can save money by adjusting your policy options and personal characteristics.
- You might be surprised at how many quotes you can get. Get multiple quotes to compare your options.
- Compare discounts: Many insurance companies offer similar discounts once you begin looking at them. Not all insurance providers offer the same discounts or require the same eligibility criteria. Talk to an agent during the quotation process to find out how much savings you could make. This will allow you to find the best insurance company.
- Consider raising your deductible. A lower deductible will result in a greater insurance payout after an accident. However, a high-deductible policy will give you a lower payout. While increasing your deductible can save you money every month on your premium, some people don’t want to pay more before their insurance company pays for the damages.
- Driving an older car could help you save a lot on your car insurance. Buy a car that offers car-oriented discounts like anti-lock brakes or daytime running lights to maximize your savings.
- Your credit score should be raised: Rhode Island car insurance companies are allowed to use your credit score in calculating your premium. Higher credit scores are generally associated with lower claims. Drivers with lower credit scores get better rates.
Questions frequently asked
What is the monthly cost of Rhode Island car insurance?
If your annual premium is comparable to the state’s average, you can expect around:
- Full coverage: $2,018, $168.17 per Month
- Minimum coverage (749): $62.42 per monthly
Is it possible for providers to be switched?
It is possible to change providers. You will need to cancel your existing policy and buy a new one. This can be done over the phone. The most difficult part of choosing the provider will be selecting it.