Nearly every state requires car insurance. You can find the best policy that suits your needs with a little research.
Nearly every major insurer offers several automobile insurance discounts, and many of them can be easily earned. Teachers and students can get car insurance discounts. Some companies offer discounts for good driving records, while others offer discounts for having insurance for a specific length of time.
Consider the uniqueness of every policy when searching for the lowest car insurance company. A neighbor may have a lower rate than you, but they might not be able offer you the same. There may be differences in costs depending on where your is located . However, you should be able find auto insurance at a discount that suits your needs. If you are a good driver, you may be eligible for driving discounts. There may be a discount if your car is brand new.
Discounts on car insurance
Insurance companies may offer discounts depending on many factors. Here are some tips to help you get car insurance discounts.
Insurance companies often offer discounts on car insurance for certain professions. You may be eligible for other discounts depending on your military service or age.
The best car insurance companies that offer discounts to teachers
You may be eligible for discounts from insurance companies if you teach in K-12 classrooms and on college campuses.
- Farmers — Farmers offers discounts for teachers and occupational discounts for select groups like police officers, firefighters, and RNs.
- Geico — Geico offers discounts for over 500 groups that they have partnered, including alumni groups and professional organizations.
- Liberty Mutual — Liberty Mutual could help teachers save money in a variety of ways. You may be covered for up to $2,500 if teaching materials are stolen from your vehicle. There is no deductible if your vehicle is in an accident while you are driving for school or work.
Top car insurance companies that offer discounts to students and young drivers
Young drivers are often a problem because insurance is not usually affordable. Many insurers offer discounts for young drivers who earn a “B” average or higher in high school and college. Many insurers offer discount insurance for students who live more than 100 miles from home.
- Allstate — There are many ways to save, including if your full-time education is successful and you have completed the TeenSMART driver education program. Also, if you go to college less than 100 miles from where you car is kept, you could save.
- Farmers — Farmer’s young drivers discounts are available to drivers under 25, who are the grandchild or child of a policyholder, students at least 100 miles from the policyholder and good students.
- Geico — You could save upto 15% if you’re a student with a B average or better and have not been in an auto accident in the past five years.
- Liberty Mutual — Your son or daughter must have a grade of “B” or higher, and they should only be driving when they’re home.
- Nationwide — Drivers between 16 and 24 years old may be eligible for a discount through Nationwide if they maintain a “B” average.
- Progressive — Progressive offers several discounts to teens who drive, including one for students who are good students, and one for students who participate in the Snapshot program. This program can help your teen get better driving skills with real-time feedback.
- State Farm — State Farm offers young drivers similar options to other insurers. Your teen driver or student driver could save up 25% if he or she earns good grades in high school and college. Students who live far away can also get a discount.
- USAA — Your USAA policy could be discounted if your teen driver completes a basic driver training course and maintains good grades.
The best car insurance companies for military personnel, active, retired, and deployed
Insurance companies offer discounts to thank military personnel for their service. If you are deployed, these discounts might increase. A discount is also available for veterans and their families.
- Geico — Geico supports military personnel with upto a 15% discount active duty and retired military personnel, as well members of the National Guard and Reserves.
- Liberty Mutual — While the discount amount for military personnel varies depending upon your situation, you can still save money on car insurance.
- USAA — Active-duty military personnel can save as much as 15% on vehicle storage at base, and up to 60% when you store your vehicle while deployed.
Federal employees: Best car insurance companies
Geico was founded as a company for federal employees. Geico is now available to drivers across the country, but discounts up to 12% remain for federal employees.
- Geico — This company offers a ” Discount” to federal employees who are GS-7 or above.
Safety and driver history
Companies are increasingly testing telematics technology. This technology uses apps or devices to monitor driving habits and allows for real-time monitoring. A clean driving record may earn significant double-digit discounts. Even if your driving record is not perfect, there are still discounts for defensive driving, accident forgiveness, and low-mileage discounts.
Insurers will raise rates if you have poor credit. According to the Insurance Information Institute, credit scores can be used to predict how someone manages their finances. An insurer may be more inclined to insure you if your credit is poor.
There are many ways to improve your credit score. It is worth shopping around until you have the right information. You might find that some insurers are more accommodating to high-risk carriers and offer lower rates.
Safe drivers deserve the best car insurance company with the lowest rates
You could save big with safe driver discounts. Your insurer might offer you a double-digit discount if you can prove that you are a safe driver. This could be as high as 20%.
- Geico — You could save as much as 22% if you travel for five years and not have an accident. A discount may be available for the use of a seatbelt.
- Liberty Mutual — Safe drivers can get three discounts: an accident-free discount or a violation-free one, and a discount when you use the company’s telematics application, RightTrack. This could help you save up to 30%.
- Nationwide — Nationwide’s safe driving program, SmartRide offers a 10% discount for signing up, and up to 40% for being a safe driver.
- Progressive — Progressive’s Snapshot program provides a live picture of your driving habits. The company claims that if your driving habits are good, you can save on average $145.
- State Farm — The real-time discount program Drive Safe & Save from State Farm may be able to save drivers as much as 30%. A program for drivers younger than 25 years old called Steer clear offers a discount that can vary depending on where you live and other factors.
- USAA — USAA has recently added a telematics safety-driving program called SafetyPilot. This offers a 10% discount on enrollment and up to 30% for your next policy period after a good driving record.
The best car insurance companies that cover drivers who have had accidents or claims.
Insurance costs will be higher if you have more points on your license. Some insurance companies offer accident forgiveness coverage, while others, such as those we mention below, keep increases to a minimum after an accident.
- Allstate — Allstate Accident Forgiveness coverage is an optional option. However, it can be worth it since it will prevent your rate from rising after your first accident, regardless of whether it is your fault.
- Geico — You may not see an increase in your premiums if you have a clean driving record and have had few claims.
- Liberty Mutual — Liberty Mutual’s policy of accident forgiveness could help keep your premium steady after an accident. To qualify, you must be accident-free for five consecutive years. However, the longer you aren’t in an accident, the more discount you could get.
- Nationwide — Nationwide accident forgiveness coverage is available in certain states. It helps to avoid an increase in your rate if there’s a single at fault accident.
- Progressive — Progressive offers accident forgiveness coverage with all policies. Small accident forgiveness ensures that your rate stays the same if the claim is less than $500 For those who have been with the company more than five years, and have been in an accident-free environment for at least three years, large accident forgiveness is available.
- USAA — Your rate will remain the same even if you have an accident for five consecutive years with USAA.
Low-mileage driver discounts: Best car insurance companies
Seniors and others who drive less than the milewise program, which is pay-per-mile auto insurance, rewards drivers who don’t drive as much and offers lower premiums.Nationwide — The company offers the SmartMiles program to drivers who don’t drive very often. A low base rate will be charged and then you’ll pay an additional flexible rate based on the number of miles you drive each month.Progressive — Progressive offers low mileage discounts. This is based on the Snapshot program of the company, which customizes your rate based upon your actual monthly mileage.USAA — USAA may offer lower prices if you drive a smaller number of miles per year.
The best car insurance companies that offer discounts for defensive driving classes
Insurance companies will reward you for taking defensive driving courses and avoiding accidents.
- Farmers — If you’re a senior driver in certain states and have completed a defensive driving course approved by the state, you can save up to three years.
- Geico — While the discount for taking defensive driving courses varies based on where you live , you can still save some money no matter where you live.
- Nationwide — Drivers 55 and older can receive a discount on defensive driving if they live in certain states, have not been involved in an at-fault car accident for 35 months, and take a state-approved driving class. Savings of around 5%
- State Farm — A 10% discount on your premium could be available for taking a defensive driving class. These courses can often be completed online and are usually very affordable.
- USAA — A small discount may be available for taking defensive driving courses online or in-person.
Equipment for vehicles
You may be eligible for discounts depending on your choice of car options. Many insurers offer discounts for safety features such as adaptive cruise control, anti-lock brakes, daytime running lights, and other safety features. Anti-theft protection is another benefit.
The best car insurance companies that offer safety equipment discounts
These are easy discounts because most cars with more safety features than older models, like anti-lock brakes and ABS, can be redeemed. These options can help you save anywhere from 5-25% on your premium.
- Allstate — Allstate, like many other insurers, offers a discount on anti-lock brakes, safety equipment, and airbags.
- Geico — Geico offers safety equipment discounts including a significant 23% reduction for airbags and an additional 5% discount on anti-lock brakes. There is also a 3% discount on daytime running lights.
- Liberty Mutual — This company offers small discounts on anti-lock brakes and electronic stability control.
- State Farm — A car made after 1994 could help you save up to 40% on your health insurance. This is depending on the make/model. There may be a 40% savings on your medical payments for passive restraint equipment and airbags in older vehicles than 1993.
The best car insurance companies that offer discounts on anti-theft policies
Comprehensive insurance covers you for the loss of your vehicle. However, your insurer may offer significant discounts to cover theft claims.
- Allstate — A car anti-theft device could help you save money on your premium.
- Geico — A huge discount on Geico’s 23% policy is available if you purchase comprehensive coverage and have an anti-theft device installed in your vehicle.
- Liberty Mutual — If your car is equipped with anti-theft technology, you may be eligible to receive a discount from Liberty Mutual.
- Nationwide — Nationwide could offer a discount for anti-theft devices that are factory-installed or ones you install yourself.
- State Farm — State Farm advises that you check with your agent before applying anti-theft discount codes. Some may be more valuable than others.
Once you have found a company that works for you, you may earn additional discounts–especially if you bundle your car insurance with home, life, boat or other insurance. You can save money by adding multiple cars to your policy.
Car insurance companies that offer discounts for multiple vehicles
You can save money if you have more than one car.
- Geico — You could Save 25% on your premiums for two or more cars by signing up with Geico
- Farmers — Farmers could help you save if your vehicle is a part of more than one insurance policy.
- State Farm — You could save on multiple autos with your policy. State Farm can offer you as high as 20% off.
- Liberty Mutual — Liberty Mutual can help you save money on your premiums by insuring all of your vehicles.
- Progressive — Although the savings at Progressive aren’t huge (on average, 4% ), it might still be beneficial to add another car to your policy if one is already in place.
The best car insurance companies that offer discounts to multiple policy holders
Bundling is a common discount. Most insurance companies offer it. You could save on your premiums by having your car and homeowners insurance through the same company, regardless of whether you live in a home you own or rent.
- Allstate — A bundle auto-home may offer discounts up to 10% on auto and 25% on home premiums.
- Farmers — Farmers may offer a slight discount for policies that include an auto, home, life, umbrella, small-business, or specialty policy.
- Geico — Geico can help you save on your car insurance by covering all of your insurance needs, including homeowners, renters and condo owners.
- Liberty Mutual — If you combine your car insurance with renters, homeowners, or condo insurance, you may be eligible for a popular discount.
- Nationwide — This company claims you can cut an average of $646 by bundling your car and home insurance. Bundling renters, life, motorcycle, boat, or life insurance can be done with auto.
- Progressive — If you bundle your motorcycle, RV, or other product with your car insurance, you can save on average 4% Combining homeowners and car insurance policies can help you get discounts.
- State Farm — State Farm can help you save up to 17% if State Farm insures your homeowners, condo, life, and renters insurance policies, as well as your auto insurance. State Farm claims that bundling your home and auto could help you save up to $854 per year.
Top car insurance companies offer the best discounts
While there are some discounts that are common to all insurers, such as a bundling discount or a discount for multiple companies, others are rarer and may only be available at a few companies. There are different discounts offered by each company. The discounts offered by smaller regional companies are less than those offered by larger companies. These four insurance companies are well-known for their extensive discount list. This means that you might be eligible for multiple discounts and possibly save a lot on your premium.
Geico offers more than 15 regular discount making it one the most competitive companies for offering discounts. Geico might be able offer you the lowest cost policy due to its low rates. Some discounts are very generous. Airbags can be purchased at a discount of up to 23% and multiple vehicles insured with the company can save you up to 25%. You could save even if you wear your seatbelt regularly. Membership in more than 500 organizations is eligible for discounts.
Progressive offers 13 discounts. Some of these discounts are smaller than Geico’s. It is possible to get more than one discount, so you could save a lot. Bundling can net you an average savings of 5% and three savings options for young drivers. This is a company worth considering if you have teenagers in your home. Progressive offers a way to save money by doing business online. You can save 9% just for signing your documents online. There are also additional discounts for setting up automatic payments and going paperless.
State Farm offers 13 discounts and rewards safe drivers with many. State Farm’s Drive Safe and Save program utilizes a mobile app that provides real-time information about your driving skills. You could save as much as 30% if they like what you see. Steer Clear is a similar program for drivers younger than 25 who can save as much as 20% if they drive for at least three years without having an accident. A defensive driving course can earn you 10-15%. For young drivers, you can also save up to 25% on your high school and college grades.
Allstate offers policyholders 11 discounts Bundling could save you up to 10% on your auto policy, and 25% on your homeowners policy. Bundling your car insurance with a renters or life policy could save you money. Are you a recent car owner? You may be eligible to receive a discount if you have. Allstate’s Safe Driving bonus could give you a reward every six month and $100 off your collision insurance deductible each year if your driving record is clean. This could save you up $500. Allstate’s Drivewise program gives you a discount when you sign up, and more savings after six month if your are a responsible driver.
How do I decide which discount is the best?
Do your research when you’re trying to find the best deals on car insurance. You can check out the websites of top car insurance companies to get a free estimate. Many insurance companies offer discounts. You can check them out to determine which discounts you might be eligible for to help you decide which one is most beneficial to you.
Do you have any dings in your driving record? Consider securing discounts for safety features. Are you driving an older vehicle? To save money, you could combine your homeowner’s insurance policy and your car’s insurance. Personalizing the discounts according to your needs is key.
There are no two policies exactly the same. This is why it is important to remember that your friend may be a member of a company with the best savings. You can do most of your research online. Your best car insurance discounts may be just an email away. Once you’ve determined the discounts that you qualify for, you can use the math to determine which company will offer you the best car insurance.
Questions frequently asked
How can I save money on my car insurance, besides looking for discounts?
Bankrate’s How To Lower Your Car Insurance page is a great place to start when looking for auto insurance savings. This page discusses coverage options, increasing your deductible, and other topics. It is a good idea to compare multiple quotes in order to find the best car insurance to suit your needs.
How can I find out which discounts my insurance company offers?
Compare quotes from different websites and compare them side-by-side. Explain their discounts, such as the company’s discount list. These aren’t the only way to find the best car insurance discounts. To get the best deals, you might also speak to your local insurance agent. They may know of discounts that aren’t listed on the website or only available in your area.
What happens if I have a poor driving record?
Shopping for car insurance can be more difficult if you have a poor driving record. It is important to compare rates and shop around in these cases. You may be able to get lower rates by bundling your auto and home insurance. You may be eligible for a discount if you take a defensive driving class. This will improve your driving skills as well as earn you discounts with your insurer.