The winding roads of Hawaii are packed with more than 9433,000 licensed drivers, and 10,000,000 tourists in 2019. Hawaii has minimum car insurance requirements, as do most other states. You must have car insurance coverage if you reside in the Aloha State.
Hawaii drivers need to understand that buying car insurance is not a mandatory purchase. You can avoid financial ruin by having car insurance. Bankrate’s editorial team did extensive research to help you find the best Hawaii car insurance.
The best car insurance companies in Hawaii
Our insurance expertise, AM Best financial stability ratings, and J.D. We scored Power auto claims satisfaction scores. Each company was assigned a Bankrate score by adding the average premiums from Quadrant Information Services to that information, as well as available coverage options and discounts. The scores are rated from 0.0 to 5. The Bankrate Score is a measure of how highly the company was rated in each category.
USAA is not eligible to be ranked with J.D. Power is not eligible for official ranking with J.D. The company has the lowest average premium for full coverage and consistently gets high marks. USAA may be able to provide you with a quote if you are eligible for coverage.
USAA offers many discounts in addition to low premiums. You could save money on your car insurance if you park your car at a military base, or keep it in a storage unit while you are deployed. Bundling auto and home coverage, safe driving and the insuring of a new vehicle are all additional discounts.
Geico might be a good option if budget is your main concern. Geico is well-known for its low premiums and long list of discounts that can help you save even further.
A discount might be available for federal employees, new cars, vehicle safety features such as anti-lock brakes and anti-theft systems, having more than one vehicle, or being a safe driver. J.D. did give Geico a lower-than-industry rating. Power for claims satisfaction.
State Farm is the most famous auto insurance company. The company is actually the largest US insurer, accounting for more than 16% market share. J.D. gave State Farm a high score. Power for claims service. Customers can also add options such as ridesharing coverage, rental car coverage, and emergency road service coverage to increase their protection.
State Farm offers several discounts that can help you save more on your car insurance premium. State Farm offers discounts that could help you save money by not having an accident, having safety features on your vehicle, insuring more cars, and bundling auto and home insurance.
If you’re looking for flexible coverage options to customize your policy, Allstate may be the right choice. You can add on endorsements such as sound system coverage, roadside assist coverage, rental car reimbursement coverage, and even options to cover classic cars.
Allstate’s average full coverage premium is among the most expensive on our list. However, they offer a number of discounts that could help you save. Signing up for automatic payments, paperless statement, paying in full and having vehicle safety features, as well as signing up for paperless statements and automatic payments may be eligible for a discount.
Average cost of car insurance in Hawaii
Hawaii is the most affordable state for auto insurance. Drivers spend an average 1.28% on their household income to insure their vehicle. The average cost for car insurance is $1,127 annually for full coverage and $345 annually for minimum coverage. Nationally, the average cost of full coverage is $1,674 annually. Minimum coverage is $565.
Car insurance rates are partly based on the possibility of being in an accident. There were only 102 fatal traffic accidents in Hawaii in 2019, resulting in 108 deaths. Despite the fact that Hawaii is small, it’s possible that there are fewer serious accidents than expected. This could explain why auto insurance rates are so low. Due to the low minimum coverage requirements, the minimum coverage rates may be lower than the national average.
Hawaii’s minimum insurance requirements
Hawaii requires drivers to have auto insurance in order to drive a car. Your insurance company will provide protection for you and your passengers up to the personal injuries protection (PIP) limit. Hawaii is a state. The PIP applies only to injuries. After the limit has been exhausted, the at-fault driver may still be sued for additional damages under certain circumstances.
You must have the minimum insurance if you own a vehicle in Hawaii
- $20,000 bodily injury liability per individual
- $40,000 bodily injury liability per incident
- $10,000 damage to property
- Personal injury coverage up to $10,000
Although you only need to have these basic protections, you can speak with an agent about higher liability limits. If you cause an accident or the damage exceeds your insurance limit, minimum coverage can leave you with substantial expenses. Comprehensive and collision coverages provide protection for your vehicle’s damage.
How to get the best car coverage
Auto insurance is a personal purchase. Some will seek the lowest possible rate, while others will want to take advantage of discounts or coverages that are more tailored to their needs. Others will require coverage that is specific to their life circumstances. You might want to consider these things when shopping for Hawaii car insurance:
- Assess your needs. Evaluate your situation and determine which coverage options, discounts, and company features are most important to you. If you have a teenager who is going to college, it might be a good idea to look for a company that offers a discount for students. You might also want to look for companies that cater to high risk drivers.
- Take into account state factors. Insurance companies often offer additional coverage options. Roadside assistance may be an option if you are frequent traveler to Hawaii’s remote areas. Consider features that are specific to your region. You might want to add comprehensive coverage if you are concerned about vehicle vandalism.
Hawaii offers car insurance discounts
Many auto insurance companies offer discounts that could help lower your premium. Hawaii offers many car insurance discounts to drivers. These are some of the most common:
- Multi-policy discount: You may be eligible for a substantial discount if you have more than one policy with the same company. For example, your home and auto insurance. This discount may be extended to other types policies such as umbrella or life insurance.
- Student discount: A good student can save you money on their premium. Companies have different requirements, but they generally require a minimum B- or better letter-grade average in order to be eligible.
- Discounts for vehicle safety: There are many companies that offer discounts on safety features. Anti-lock brakes and side curtain air bags are all acceptable features. Blind-spot warning systems or automatic braking system may also qualify.
- Telematics discounts are relatively new in the insurance industry. Not all companies offer a telematics programme. These programs usually involve the use of a plug-in or mobile app to enable your insurance company track your driving habits. Based on the data you provide, you could be eligible for a discount. Some telematics software are usage-based while others focus how much you drive.
You can research discounts offered by companies online but it is worth speaking with a representative of the company to find savings.
Questions frequently asked
Which is the best Hawaii car insurance?
There are many options for Hawaii car owners when it comes choosing an insurance company. However, there isn’t one best option for everyone. Auto insurance is largely dependent on your requirements. The best auto insurance company will be able to meet them. You can get quotes from multiple companies to help you choose the right company.
What happens if I don’t have insurance in Hawaii?
Driving without insurance can be a serious offense. You could face jail time if you are caught driving with no insurance. You will be responsible for any damages incurred if you cause an accident without insurance. You may be sued if you can’t afford it.
Does Hawaii car insurance cover storm damage?
The downside to Hawaii’s tropical climate is the possibility of storms. The island is susceptible to natural disasters such as tsunamis, earthquakes, and tropical storms. Although your car insurance may provide coverage for natural disasters, it is only available if you have full coverage. You will not be covered for natural disasters if you have only liability coverage or minimum coverage.