According to Bankrate’s 2021 study on annual premiums, the average cost of Montana car insurance is $1737. In 2021, Montana had more than 1.8 million registered vehicles. Based on National Highway Traffic Safety Administration statistics, 166 people died in traffic accidents in Montana in 2019, including 159 fatalities in rural areas. 36% of Montana’s 2019 deaths were due to alcohol impairment.
There are many cultural and natural experiences to be had by setting out on the open roads in Big Sky Country. You can visit Virginia City to see how early settlers lived, or the amazing flora & fauna of Glacier National Park. Before you can hit the roads, you must have car insurance. Based on third-party reviews, coverage options, and the average price, this is the best Montana car insurance for 2021.
Montana’s best car insurance companies
Our proprietary Bankrate scoring system is used to find the best Montana car insurance companies. Based on our knowledge about the insurance industry, rates and coverage options, we choose the best options. We also consider sources that offer in-depth research on the insurance industry, such as ratings from J.D. marketing research company. Power’s 2021 U.S. Auto Insurance Study for performance in customer service. These are the top car insurance companies in Montana based on all these factors.
USAA is one-stop-shopping for financial products, which we consider a winning hand for military people. USAA offers home and renters insurance as well as checking and savings accounts, home mortgages and investment accounts. USAA’s other products are only available to military families and members of their immediate families.
Geico insures almost 28 million vehicles and is the second-largest auto insurance provider in the U.S. Because it is available in all 50 states, almost anyone can access it. Geico also offers a wide range of discount options and add-ons, as well as all the standard coverage options. Geico offers multiple bundle options that can help you save money on your home and vehicles insurance.
State Farm continues to operate local agencies, which offers you a dedicated person to contact when you need to file a claim or purchase additional insurance. The handy State Farm mobile app allows you to access your policy information, reach out to your agent, and request assistance on the road.
Another well-known U.S. insurance company that offers auto insurance is Progressive. Progressive’s average annual premium for full coverage is $1,419. This makes it slightly cheaper than other insurance companies. Progressive offers standard auto insurance, as well as add-ons.
Allstate is the largest auto insurance company in the United States. Allstate has local agents that can meet the needs of each area code and state. It sells auto, home, and life insurance. However, it is the fourth-largest auto insurance provider, with 9.3% market share. Allstate provides all the basics coverage and offers a wide range of add-ons. In addition to discounts, they also offer a variety of discount options.
Average Montana car insurance costs
The average cost of car insurance in Montana is $1,737 per year for full coverage. This is slightly lower than the $1674 annual national average for full coverage. Montana drivers might pay slightly less than the national average, but this is due to the fact that your car insurance quote will be based on personal and geographical factors. You may pay slightly more if your area has a higher crime rate than the national average.
Montana’s minimum insurance requirements
All states require car owners to carry minimum amounts of liability insurance. When you are responsible for an accident, liability insurance does not cover bodily injury and property damage to other drivers or passengers. In Montana, you must purchase at least:
- $25,000 bodily injury coverage for one person to cover medical and death expenses in the event of an accident.
- $50,000 bodily injury coverage for the payment of medical and death expenses for more than one person involved in an accident.
- $20,000 property damage insurance to cover property that has been damaged in an accident.
If you lease or finance your car, your lender will likely require you to purchase comprehensive and collision insurance.
How to get the best car coverage
There are many car insurance companies available and there are many options for each driver. It is important to choose the right car insurance company. Each person will have a different experience when it comes to finding the best Montana car insurance. This is due to factors like driving record, marital status, credit scores, and geographic location. These are just two things to consider when looking for Montana auto insurance.
- Assess your needsThe best car insurance provider will match your unique requirements to find the right policy for you. Your age, gender, make and model of the car and whether there are any high-risk teens or adults in your household will all impact the price. If you have lower credit scores than the average, you should look for car insurance companies who are more open to your credit history. You should also look for an insurance company that offers accident forgiveness if you have had any accidents in the past.
- Take into account state factorsThe cost of car insurance can often be affected by where you live. Montana is well-known for its Rocky Mountains and glaciers. However, if you reside in the Western half, you should consider roadside assistance and wheel protection due to the additional road hazards. However, many car insurance companies have local agents that can assist you in every area code.
Montana offers car insurance discounts
Car insurance discounts such as these help create some of the cheapest car insurance in Montana:
- Individual: You can save money by taking advantage of personal discounts such as savings for seniors, students, and teen drivers. USAA offers special insurance for veterans and military personnel.
- SafetyYou can save money by using your vehicle’s safety devices. Anti-lock brakes, anti-theft devices and other safety features can lower your risk and earn you additional discounts on your car insurance.
- PaymentMontana residents can save money by signing up for auto-pay and paperless billing. An early signing discount is available if you renew your policy before the deadline.
- Safe driverYou can get discounts from many companies when you sign up for a telematics program like State Farm’s Drive Safe and Save. You can also get an additional discount from many insurance companies if you take a defensive driving course.
Questions frequently asked
Which Montana state has the lowest car insurance?
Rates are determined by a variety of factors such as your driving record, credit history, and age. For the best value and coverage, shop around to find the lowest-priced Montana car insurance. Ask agents for discounts.
What information are you required to obtain Montana car insurance?
An agent will need information about you, your driving record, and your age to help you find Montana car insurance. Agents might also request your Social Security number in order to conduct a credit check.
Is Montana a state that requires car owners to have insurance?
Yes. You must have minimum coverage for bodily injury and property damages. Your lender might also require that you have comprehensive and collision insurance if you finance your vehicle.
How can I lower my auto insurance rate?
Insurance companies often offer discounts for driving lessons, buying multiple policies, and driving cars with safety features. Ask agents about discounts that might be available when you shop for car insurance.