According to Bankrate’s 2021 study on annual premiums, the average cost of Washington, D.C. car insurance is $1,855 per annum for a full coverage policy.There is a greater chance of getting into an accident behind the wheel of a car with one of the district’s.535,000 drivers licensedA policy from one the top D.C. auto insurance companies, such as USAA or Geico could be a good idea.
It is important to take the time to find the right insurance company. Car insurance can make the difference between financial hardship and smooth claims. Through Bankrate’s research, we recognized five carriers as offering some of the best car insurance in Washington, D.C.
Washington, D.C.’s best car insurance companies
Quadrant Information Services was used by Bankrate’s editorial staff to determine which auto insurance is best in Washington, D.C. The average annual premiums of the most popular local car insurance companies was then used to help them decide the best. The 2020 J.D. rating was also considered. Power Auto Claims Study was used to assess each company’s financial stability and customer satisfaction.
We then calculated a Bankrate Score which allowed us to compare the data and create an easy-to use comparison tool that shows how each insurer stacks against one another. The closer each company scores, the better it is at comparing its financial strength, customer satisfaction, and premiums.
USAA might be an attractive option for military personnel and their families, as it has bases at the Navy, Army, and Marine Corps in Washington, D.C. It only offers insurance to military personnel who are active duty or retired, as well as their families, so it is a great choice for those who qualify.
As the cheapest car insurance policy in D.C. on our list, USAA’s policies are affordable and unique in coverage options for military families, such as a discount for storing a vehicle on base. Despite not being eligible for official rank due to eligibility restrictions the company’s policyholders score competitively high in customer satisfaction.
Geico is an insurance company with a long history. The trusted name of Geico is often mentioned in any discussion about the best car insurance, even in Washington, D.C. Geico policies have a limited coverage option, including rental reimbursement and roadside assistance. However, they also offer one of the longest discounts.
D.C. drivers have many savings options, regardless of whether they are a member of one Geico’s protected membership networks or eligible to receive safe driving benefits. Geico’s online and mobile apps make policy management extremely easy.
Erie is ranked among the top 10 car insurers for customer satisfaction. AM Best also gives Erie an A+ (Superior), ranking for financial strength. This makes it a strong selling point for customers who want a smooth claims experience.
Even with Erie’s standard policies, coverage is strong. Coverages that are usually optional, such as locksmith services and personal item coverages, are generally included with the purchase of full coverage. Multiple discounts are available, including multi-policy discounts ranging from 16% to 25% depending on the state.
State Farm’s average annual full coverage premium may be slightly higher than that of Washington, D.C. drivers, but there are many things that make State Farm policies worth looking at. One is its list of discounts, including its Drive Safe and Save program, student options and vehicle safety discounts. For a multi-policy discount, you could bundle your auto policy and home or life insurance.
Local State Farm agents are available in D.C. to provide drivers who prefer face-to–face guidance and insurance assistance.
Progressive is a top-rated provider of Washington, D.C. car insurance. You can compare quotes online from Progressive if you know what coverages you require. This will cut down on research time. It also offers a Name Your Price Tool that will show you coverage options that are within your budget to help you find the best coverage.
Outside of standard coverages, there are useful options for gap insurance, rental car reimbursement, custom parts, rideshare coverage and roadside assistance. You can also save money by choosing the deductible savings option. This reduces your premium each time you don’t have a claim.
Average car insurance cost in Washington, D.C.
The average annual cost of full coverage car insurance in the U.S. is $1,674, while Washington D.C. averages $1,855 annually for full coverage insurance. Washington, D.C.’s average minimum coverage costs $704 per year, compared to the $565 average for the U.S. Washington, D.C. has a high number of traffic jams, which can increase the chance of an accident.
Washington, D.C. – Minimum insurance requirements
Like most states, car insurance is mandatory in Washington, D.C. The district is considered no fault, which means that minimum coverage must be provided. Washington, D.C. notes the following auto insurance coverages are required:
- $25,000 bodily injury liability per individual
- $50k bodily injury liability per accident
- Ten Thousand Dollars per accident property damage liability
- $25,000 bodily injury to a motorist who is not covered by insurance
- $50,000 bodily injury to an uninsured motorist per accident
- $5,000 uninsured motorist property damage per accident (up to a $200 deductible per claim)
D.C.’s minimum coverage limits may help to reduce out-of pocket costs after an accident, but they may not cover all losses. To offer more robust protection, speak to an insurance agent to determine what coverage limits are right for you and consider adding collision and comprehensive to help cover your vehicle’s repair costs. Your lender will usually require full coverage if you lease or loan your vehicle.
How to get the best car coverage
Every person is unique and will have a different opinion on which Washington, D.C., auto insurance company is best. There are a few simple ways to determine which insurance company offers the best coverage.
- Assess your needsEach driver is different and each driver’s circumstances can have an impact on their insurance buying decisions. A driver who has a history of speeding or other traffic violations may be more likely to choose to get insurance.Washington, D.C.: Cheap car insurance. A provider offering first-accident forgiveness might be a good choice, especially if your driving record is clean and you don’t want to be penalized for a second offense.
- Consider local factors:Washington D.C. offers personal injury protection (PIP), which you can choose to purchase. This coverage can help you pay for medical expenses, as D.C. has no fault district status. An insurance agent can help you determine what additional protections you might need by reviewing the optional coverage options in your district.
Washington, D.C.: Car insurance discounts
Regardless of the auto provider you choose, you are likely to find at least one or more discounts available to you. The following discounts are offered by most Washington, D.C. insurance companies:
- Paperless:You may be eligible for a discount from your insurers if you choose to fully digitize your policy management. You will get digital copies of all your documents, including monthly and annual statements, if you choose to do this.
- Auto-payMany insurance companies offer discounts for drivers who set up automatic payments. You don’t have to remember to make manual payments online, by phone, or mail.
- Distant student:Distance student discounts may be available to students who live far from their home and don’t have regular access to a car. You may be eligible for a distant student discount if the school is located at least 50 miles from your home.
- Multi-policy:Bundling auto and renters insurance policies from the same company can save you money.
Your premium can be significantly reduced if you qualify for discounts. The most savings are found in auto and home bundles, but you can also get discounts for automatic payments or taking a safe driving class.
Questions frequently asked
What is the best car insurance in Washington, D.C.
Washington, D.C., car insurance rates are dependent on many factors, including your driving record, age, and vehicle type. Insurers may weight each variable differently, so it is a good idea to get quotes from several providers to find the best rate.
What information are you required to obtain car insurance in Washington, D.C.
You will also need to give your address, vehicle make, model, driver’s licence number, and annual mileage. To determine your rates, companies will also look at your driving record and previous coverage.
What is high-risk insurance?
High-risk insurance is a term used for drivers who pose a high claims risk. Due to the severity of the offense, such as speeding or reckless driving, a DUI can increase your insurance rates. Multiple accidents can affect your insurance premiums.