Passaic County drivers saw 4,038 vehicle crashes in 2019. This shows how important it is to have good car insurance. It is important to add comprehensive coverage to your policy, as the city was the scene of 456 vehicle thefts.
Paterson’s average annual rate for auto insurance is $1,259 to get minimum coverage, and $2,565 to get full coverage. We reviewed the policies of the local insurers and identified the best cheap car insurance. They also offer excellent customer service and financial stability.
Best Car Insurance Companies in Paterson
We looked at average car insuring in Paterson and compared them to J.D., a consumer watchdog agency. Power. We also evaluated the possibility of discounts and coverage options.
|Insurance company||J.D. J.D.||Minimum coverage: Average annual premium||For full coverage, the average annual premium|
Amica is well-known for its exceptional customer service. J.D. Power ranks Amica second in its industry. J.D. Power’s index ranks the company second, so you can be sure that your insurance needs will be met quickly and efficiently. Amica’s website doesn’t have many bells and whistles, but you can access your account online and pay bills or file claims if you prefer that way of doing business.
Insurance options include full glass coverage, auto loan/lease insurance, roadside assistance, and auto loan/lease. You can also get discounts for adaptive headlights or electronic stability control.
Geico’s customer service scores for Paterson drivers are average. However, its prices for Paterson drivers are much lower at $856 per annum for minimal coverage and $1891 for full coverage. Geico provides all the coverages required in New Jersey, along with a few optional coverages such as rental reimbursement, mechanical breakdown insurance, and emergency road service.
The company offers discounts that are more generous than others. There are many safety features that the company offers, including a 23% discount on your premium rate for airbags, 23% off an anti-theft system, and 22% for good drivers if you have not had an accident in five years.
NJM is J.D. According to the 2020 Auto Insurance Study by J.D. Power, NJM is our number one pick. We also recommend it as the best choice for cheap car insurance in Paterson. It costs only $522 per annum for minimum coverage, and $1,617 for full coverage.
NJM is a smaller company and does not enjoy the same perks as big companies. It does however offer innovative options like pet coverage and rideshare endorsement. There are also discounts available for seniors drivers and good students.
State Farm policyholders love the company’s customer service focus and reasonable rates. Although it was on the higher end of rates, its average premiums were still less than Paterson’s.
State Farm offers amendments which allow you to customize your policy for your specific needs. This is useful if you own a sports car, antique car, or work for a ride-share company. Discounts include safe driver options (six of them), and discounts for loyal customers.
Travelers received the lowest J.D. The lowest J.D. score was awarded to Travelers. However, it still ranks higher than average with the consumer agency and has a very low score on the NAIC Complaint Index. This means that claims should be handled easily by the company.
Travelers offers a standard range of options. This includes loan/lease gap, rental coverage, and accident forgiveness. You will be able to maintain a low premium by taking advantage of the discounts that are available, including one for hybrid or electric vehicles.
Car insurance at the lowest price in Paterson
Paterson’s auto insurance rates are $1,259 per annum for minimum coverage and $2,565 for full coverage. These rates are higher than New Jersey averages $847 and $1.757. They are both higher than the national averages of $565, $1,674 and $1.675.
These five insurance companies are the most affordable in Paterson for car insurance.
|Insurance Company||Minimum Coverage: Average Annual Premium||Average annual premium for full coverage|
All of these companies, except Progressive, made it to our “Best of” List. Progressive was only able to lose out due to its poor customer service scores with J.D. Power is a great company, but it’s worth getting a quote to find out if it is right for you. Amica is the top-rated company for customer service, and should be your first choice if you are looking for excellent support. State Fam is a great website for managing your accounts.
Insurance requirements for Paterson
New Jersey, like most states, requires that you have a minimum amount of auto insurance to be able to drive legally. These are the minimum legal requirements:
- $15,000 bodily injury liability (BI): This is the maximum amount your insurer will pay to cover the injuries sustained by one person in an accident at fault.
- $30,000 total BI Liability: This is the maximum amount your insurer will pay for injuries if there are more than one victim in an at-fault collision.
- $5,000 Property Damage (PD) Liability: This is the maximum amount your insurance will pay for the damage to another driver’s vehicle or other structures caused by an accident at fault.
- Personal injury protection (PIP), $15,000: This covers medical costs and work-loss expenses, as well as funeral costs. It does not matter who is responsible. Because N.J. has a zero-fault state, PIP is necessary.
- $15,000/$30,000 uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM): this coverage kicks in if you are in an accident with someone who has no insurance, or not enough insurance to pay the claim.
Many people don’t think the minimum coverage is sufficient. You will need to buy collision and comprehensive coverage if you own a car that is leased or loaned. Insurance experts recommend that you purchase as much liability coverage as possible in the event of a serious accident.
Paterson: Car insurance discounts
Discounts are offered by almost all insurance companies. This can help to keep your premiums as low as possible. These are some of the most common in Paterson.
- Accident-free: Many insurers will offer a discount on your premium if you don’t have any claims on your policy for a certain period of time.
- Anti-theft devices
- Safe driver: Insurance companies are using telematics devices to assess whether you are a safe driver. These devices are installed in your car and send information about your driving habits. You may be eligible for up to 20% savings if you drive safely and follow the speed limit.
- Multi-policy or multi-car insurance: If you have more than one vehicle insured with the same company or your home/rental property is insured by the same company you may be eligible for a discount.
- Good student: A good driver who is still in school may be eligible for a discount if they maintain a certain GPA.
Each company offers discounts, so make sure you talk to your agent to find out which ones are most appropriate for your situation.
Questions frequently asked
Which is the best auto insurance company?
Bankrate’s Top Car Insurance Companies in 2021 List will help you find the best company for your needs. Talk to representatives from several companies to get the best auto insurance in Paterson.
What is the cost of car insurance in Paterson?
Paterson’s average policy cost is $1,259 for minimum coverage and $2.565 for full coverage. You will likely pay more depending on your personal situation, including the age of your vehicle, driving skills, credit score, and how old your car is.
What amount of car insurance do you need in Paterson
The minimum Car Insurance Paterson is 15/30/5. This includes PIP and UUM coverage. We recommend you increase your minimum limits if you have the funds. This will ensure that you are adequately protected in case of serious accidents.