Philadelphia residents recently faced a storm of extreme cold which froze pipes, damaged trees and damaged gardens. Home insurance covers repairs to a range of hazards, including snow and ice. For a $250,000 home, the average home insurance rate in Philadelphia is $1,151 annually. You can beat the average by knowing which companies offer affordable home insurance Philadelphia premiums.
The best home insurance companies Philadelphia
We compared over a dozen different insurance companies in Philadelphia to find the best home insurance provider.
Westfield offers home insurance for primary and secondary residences. You can also add home equipment breakdown to your standard home insurance. The optional coverage, which is similar to a home warranty will cover repairs or replacements of household items like computers, heat pumps, heat pumps, and HVAC systems.
Cumberland Mutual offers home insurance to residents in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware. Cumberland gives homeowners the option to speak with an agent over the telephone or in person if they prefer to do business the old-fashioned, personal way. Although the company doesn’t offer an online quotation tool it is worth considering as one among the top home insurance companies in Philadelphia.
USAA’s homeowners insurance offers great value. This policy is among the best Philadelphia home insurance rates because of its affordable premiums. However, it also covers replacement costs. You can rebuild or replace your home and contents at current market price if it is damaged or destroyed. USAA also offers flood insurance. Access to the public is the main problem. To get coverage, you will need to be a military or close relative.
Customers who completed the J.D. Power customer satisfaction study. This carrier offers low-cost insurance that is ideal for first-time homeowners. You also have the option to customize your coverage. Standard policies will provide replacement cost coverage. For complete home protection, you can add water backup, sump overflow and service line coverage.
Independent agents are available in many states to sell Penn National. More than 40% insurance that the company offers is sold in Pennsylvania. Penn National offers unique discounts like retired daytime occupancy, smoker-free households, and smart home protection devices such as doorbell cameras and wifi sensors. This will help you save even more on your home insurance.
There are other options for Philadelphia home insurance
Although Pennsylvania does not require homeowners insurance, it is well worth the small price to protect your most important financial investment. Your lender may require that you have insurance if you have a mortgage. The most popular type of home insurance is an HO-3 policy. It covers you against a range of perils that can affect Philadelphia such as snow, rain, and ice. You might also consider the following coverages:
- Jewelry endorsement: An “HO-3” provides limited coverage for high-value jewelry such as watches, fine jewelry and collectibles. For additional items, you may need to add an endorsement.
- Flood insurance: Experts expect flooding to be more prevalent in Philadelphia. Flood insurance can help you protect yourself from water damage.
- Guaranteed replacement cost: Most policies do not cover actual cash value. This means that you will only be reimbursed for the item’s cost, minus any depreciation. You may not be able to find items that are comparable in price and condition if you’re rebuilding your home. You can replace items with new versions if you have a guaranteed replacement cost.
Philadelphia Home Insurance Discounts
There are many ways to save money on your Philadelphia, Pennsylvania home insurance policy once you have chosen a Philadelphia home insurance company. Nearly all insurance companies offer discounts for policyholders. Philadelphia residents should take into consideration:
- No claims history: Many homeowners never suffered home-related losses or damages. A history of no claims may qualify you for a discount.
- Home security: Installing an advanced or smart home security system will reduce your chances of being burglarized and lost. You may be rewarded by your carrier with a discount if you find ways to reduce the risk of theft. You may also be eligible for discounts if you have safety equipment like smoke detectors or carbon monoxide detectors.
- Bundling: If you purchase homeowners and vehicle insurance from one insurance company, you might be eligible for discounts on both.
- Home improvements: Modern homes are safer and more efficient. Older homes may be eligible for discounts, while newer homes might qualify for discounts based upon their age. However, older homes could also receive a discount if they upgrade their heating, plumbing, or electric systems.
Questions frequently asked
Which is the best company for home insurance?
It all depends on your needs. You can find quality home insurance providers like Penn National, Cumberland and USAA that offer affordable premiums and a wide range of coverage options.
What is the cost of Philadelphia home insurance?
There are many factors that can affect the cost of homeowners insurance. Bankrate found that a basic $250,000 home insurance policy cost $292 (Westfield), and $1,515 (1 State Farm).
What amount of home insurance do you need in Philadelphia?
Insurance experts suggest researching the cost of rebuilding your home in your area and multiplying that number by your square footage. Add an amount for your home’s contents. It takes some time to arrive at the right figure. To arrive at an estimate, you will need to examine all of your household items, including furniture and fixtures.