Caravan Insurance: A Buyer’s Guide


It is crucial that caravan owners take responsibility for arranging insurance coverage for their holiday home. This will not only cover you in the event of theft, fire, or accident but also to provide peace of mind. This article will help you to understand the most important issues to remember, whether you’re a new owner or an existing owner who is looking to renew their insurance.

Two Types of Policies – These policies are designed to reflect the two types of caravan (Static or Touring) and have been created with specific insurance policies.

Touring Caravan Insurance: Touring caravans can be towed behind a vehicle or other suitable tow vehicle. For holiday accommodation, touring caravans can be towed to campsites. The insurance covers the towing of the caravan on roads behind a vehicle, as well as general coverage for fire, damage and theft. Touring caravans can be exposed to all road hazards, including collisions, high winds and unbalanced loads, as well as fire and theft.

Static Caravan insurance – These are stationary caravans that are usually located on a holiday park or caravan site on a semi-permanent or permanent basis. They can be exposed to high winds, flooding in the immediate area, fire, and theft. Each type of caravan has its own policy. Insurance policies can be very specific about their coverage and conditions. This article will help you compare insurance quotes.

ALSO READ  Uninsured motorist statistics and facts

The insurer will replace any caravan that is written off if it does not have ‘new for old’ coverage. Your old caravan will be replaced by a new one of the same or better specifications by the insurer. Although most insurers offer no new for older coverage for caravans less than 5 years old, some insurance policies now provide extended new-for-old coverage up to 15 years. However, this is at a cost.

If you are planning to take your touring caravan on holiday abroad, ‘European coverage’ (touring caravans) is essential. European coverage provides additional protection for your holiday caravan in many EU countries and features such as emergency accommodation.

Twin Axle (touring caravans): Twin axle caravans are larger caravans with a central axle. Insurers might not cover twin axle caravans under a standard policy. Many insurance companies offer policies that are specifically tailored for twin axle caravans.

Insurance discounts can be possible when you have added security. Accessing insurance that is affordable and secure has become a key factor. Insurance companies now require that touring caravans have at least one additional security feature. It could be a hitch lock, wheel clamp, or proof that the caravan is stored in a secure storage area when it is not being used. A tracker alarm may be necessary for twin axle caravans or luxury models that are more expensive, since they are more tempting to thieves. Static vans are not considered to be a security risk as they are placed on Parks on an interim basis. However, insurance companies often consider an intruder alarm system a bonus that can qualify the owner for a discount on their premium.

ALSO READ  Common Auto Insurance Coverage Misunderstandings

Most insurance policies now include public liability coverage. This provides protection against third-party injury or death. It is becoming more important to have public liability coverage for any vehicle that is being town on a public highway. This is especially important for static caravans, particularly if they are being used by friends or family. It is also essential if your holiday home is to be rented out.

Online insurance quotes. The internet has revolutionized insurance. It is easy to get multiple quotes quickly and easily. However, it is important to use the same information to request quotes from different insurers. Make sure you include the same age, value and other important details about your caravan.

Insurance Choice E&L and Towergate Bakers are the UK’s specialist insurers. Swinton is also a member of this group. You can also arrange insurance through the main Caravan Clubs of the UK and NACO.