No matter how skilled you may be at driving, you can’t control what happens to other drivers and the world around them. Inclement weather, aggressive drivers, road hazards, and breakdowns are all things you will have to face. All of these factors can have a negative impact on your safety and the safety of anyone riding along with you.
A defensive driving course is an essential part of your education about cars and driving. You can learn safe driving techniques to deal with various situations such as those mentioned above. Many courses address what happens in your brain when you drive. This includes quick reflexes and fear, as well as other emotions and decision making.
In many cases, a good defensive driving course could get you a discount on car insurance. The cost of car insurance has risen steadily over the past few years and this trend is likely to continue, in correlation to the numbers of distracted driving-related accidents
Driving courses have many benefits
A defensive driving course is for anyone who wants to learn.
The defensive driving course is beneficial for most drivers. This course is especially beneficial for teens who have never driven a car before. According to the World Health Organization, car accidents are the leading cause of death in children and young drivers. A defensive driving course can help teens learn safe driving habits early.
Insurance companies will offer discounts to teens and young adults who have completed a course. The exact discount amount will vary from one company to the next. Some courses are more extensive and longer than others, so they may be more expensive. However, some states or companies may need a more detailed course before they can offer a discount.
If you have received a few tickets, a defensive driving course may be an option. These courses can help reduce or eliminate points from your driving record. To help clear your record, make sure you find out the legal requirements that your defensive driving course must meet. Your car insurance agent should be available to assist you. You will learn new skills and become a safer driver.
What are the courses that teach defensive driving?
Although the exact content of these courses may vary from one state to the next, the majority will cover the following:
- Car crashes Most courses will address the reasons for car crashes. Car crashes can also cause financial and emotional damage. Many courses also address the dynamics of a car’s crash, including how people are thrown about in it. The courses will show drivers how to reduce the risk of injury by using seat belts.
- Psychological considerations Many thoughts flood a driver’s mind while driving. This section of the course examines physiological factors like fatigue, road rage and irritability, as well as various types of mental stress. The course teaches drivers how to keep a positive attitude and remain focused on the road ahead and behind them.
- Human frailties The course will usually cover the dangerous driving that can result from a driver’s inability to control their driving, including drunk driving and road rage. Drivers should be aware of the possibility of encountering drivers in this group and how to handle them.
- Safety equipment Most courses will cover basic car safety features like airbags and seat belts.
- Crash Prevention Most defensive driving courses will cover all the ways that crashes can be avoided, including:
- Assessing the road and adapting to the surroundings
- Follow distances using the two-second rule
- Vehicle’s stopping distance
- Reaction distance
- Environment hazards
- Vehicle emergencies
- Sharing the road
- Clear distance is required for passing
- Right of Way
- Railroad crossings and speed adjustments
- State traffic laws– Students will typically be taught any state-specific laws applicable to them, such as the policy regarding texting and driving.
Defensive driving courses generally take between 4-8 hours to complete. While some courses have an extensive test at the end, others just cover each module. To see which courses are available in your area, you can search online for information. This type of course costs anywhere from $20 to $100 depending on where you live and what provider you choose.
What is a defensive driving course and how do you take it?
Online and live defensive driving classes are available. Each option has its advantages and disadvantages, especially considering your COVID restrictions. Before you choose a course, make sure to evaluate your personal schedule and circumstances.
Advantages of attending in-person classes
- Live teaching: If you are able to attend a class in person you can ask questions and receive additional tips that you may not find in an online course.
- Accountability If you are able to study with structure and accountability, then you may find a live class helpful.
- Community support You might benefit from hearing and asking questions from your classmates.
Online classes have many advantages
- Efficiency– An online class allows you to work at your own pace and may take you longer than a class in person.
- Convenience You can access an online class from any location at any time. Log in using your smartphone, tablet, or computer.
- Cost An online class is likely to be less expensive than a class that takes place in person, since there’s no instructor who’s paid.
There are other reasons to take defensive driving courses
You will not be eligible for a discount on your auto policy if you have been required by the court to complete a defensive driving course. However, completing a course can help you keep your driver’s licence or reduce points on your driving record. The course can help you improve your safety and promote safe driving habits that you can use to get other discounts.