Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Theft From Garage?

Homeowners insurance typically covers personal belongings stolen from a garage, depending on the specific policy details and coverage options. Some policies reimburse stolen items based on their actual cash value (ACV), while others may offer replacement costs as compensation.

In addition, if your garage isn’t attached to your house, other structures coverage should provide any damage caused by theft – typically up to 20% of total homeowners policy value.

What’s Covered?

Homeowners insurance typically provides protection for both the structure and contents of an attached garage, provided they’re attached to your house. A standard homeowners policy (HO-3) typically includes personal property coverage to reimburse items stolen during a break-in or damaged due to theft; typically capped at up to a percentage or “limit” of overall dwelling coverage limit on your policy; additional supplemental policies may provide more personal property coverage.

How much your insurance company will reimburse for stolen items depends upon whether your policy includes actual cash value (ACV) or replacement cost personal property coverage (RCP). ACV reimburses for current value while RCP pays what it would take to replace an item completely with new one.

Your homeowner insurance can pay to repair damage caused by burglaries, such as broken windows and doors. However, it usually won’t cover damages done by thieves who target items in your garage for sale on the black market – for instance copper pipes could be stolen via breaking in windows and doors to gain entry – then sold to metals recyclers without insurance coverage for either damaged pipe repairs or potential water damage that might ensue from theft.

Note that homeowners insurance generally won’t cover the loss of any vehicles parked in your garage; those are covered under your auto policy instead and you should carry comprehensive coverage to safeguard them.

Your homeowners insurance will typically not cover any belongings you store in a parked car or other vehicle on your property, such as toolboxes and coolers even if they are locked up tight. In such instances, an off-premises personal property policy – often available as an add-on policy from Nationwide – provides more adequate protection. Brand New Belongings provides guaranteed repairs or replacement payments without depreciation costs being applied against them.

What’s Not Covered?

Homeowners seeking more information about how their policy covers their garage and other structures on their property should speak with an insurance provider. Different policies offer specific types of coverage options that may suit individual homeowner needs better, making it important that you find one which meets those specifications.

Homeowners insurance typically covers both the structure and contents of your garage as long as it’s attached to your house and included under its dwelling coverage, providing protection from such perils as fire, storms and theft. Furthermore, many home policies offer loss-of-use coverage which reimburses policyholders should they need to stay in a hotel during repairs following events such as burglaries or storm damage to their garage.

As well as reviewing your policy’s personal property coverage limits, it is also beneficial to take an inventory of items stored in your garage in order to assess if your current policy meets all your coverage needs or if additional plans would better meet them.

As with anything insurance-related, it’s wise to remember that your insurer may limit how much they’ll reimburse for stolen items based on their actual cash value (ACV), taking depreciation into account; thus your claim settlement may be significantly less than originally paid for them. Replacement cost coverage offers greater peace of mind by covering the total cost associated with replacing an item minus your deductible payment.

Included among the additional factors to keep in mind are:

Your insurance may not cover theft of trailers, campers or watercraft that aren’t located on your property. Insurers also likely won’t cover theft of motors and equipment stored within these structures.

Homeowners insurance does not cover theft of recreational gear stored in your garage if it occurs while you’re out for an extended period. If you plan on being absent for more than several months, vacant and unoccupied home insurance might provide some protection while you’re gone.

Additional Coverage Options

Your homeowners insurance may provide multiple options to cover theft from your garage. Actual cash value (ACV) and replacement cost property coverage provide different approaches when personal belongings have been stolen or damaged; ACV reimburses original value minus depreciation while RCV pays replacement cost prices as of today’s market prices.

Most homeowner policies contain dwelling coverage, which pays for damage to your house itself, such as when someone breaks in and damages windows, doors or locks during their attempted break-in. Some policies even offer loss of use coverage which pays for hotel or rental home accommodations should your home become so damaged it becomes inhabitable.

Additional coverage options to consider are personal property outside the home and off-premises personal property policies that extend coverage to items taken from cars, trailers or sheds. You may be able to add these extra policies for an additional premium payment.

When it comes to protecting your garage and its contents, having an accurate inventory list is of utmost importance. Conducting a home inventory makes filing claims more straightforward; taking this extra step may allow for faster compensation if something should happen to go missing from within it.

For items like jewelry, silverware and collectibles that require higher limits than those provided by homeowners insurance policies – like jewelry, silverware or collectibles – there are special endorsements or floaters that offer increased limits for such possessions. Keep in mind, however, that such special coverage options often have dollar limits or specific locations where they apply.

Some homeowners policies provide coverage for detached garages and other structures on your property under “other structures” coverage under Section B of their policy. This section generally only applies to structures not attached directly to your home – typically garden sheds and fences are excluded – meaning this protection likely only offers minimal theft coverage due to covered perils.


Homeowners insurance provides protection from a range of events and perils, such as damage to a garage and its contents, but the exact costs to recover from theft vary based on your policy’s specifics. In general, most policies reimburse policyholders up to the limit of their dwelling coverage or other structure protection coverage for stolen belongings or structural damage done to structures like garages such as these.

Your loss settlement could depend on both the insurer and policy type, with actual cash value (ACV) or replacement cost being used as the deciding factor. ACV factors in depreciation when making claim payments while replacement cost refers to what it would take to replace all your belongings with brand new items. It’s essential that when dealing with high-priced jewelry, furs or furniture items that you make the appropriate selection when it comes to loss coverage options such as this; for full replacement coverage it may be beneficial to invest in personal property floater/ endorsement coverage offering full replacement cost without accounting for depreciation based claims payments.

Most homeowners insurance policies cover the costs associated with repairing and rebuilding garages if they’re damaged by certain perils, like fire or water. This includes replacing any stolen electronics, bicycles or lawn care equipment from within the structure itself; in some policies coverage extends even to vehicles legally registered to park there.

However, your vehicle and its contents may not be covered under your homeowner’s insurance in the event of theft or vandalism; in such instances it’s wise to speak with your auto insurer to assess what coverage options may exist.

After calling the police, it’s advisable to notify your insurance agent as well. Most will require this before processing a burglary or theft claim – for your own safety as well as being required by some companies if evidence was captured on film – such as camera footage showing theft occurring; make sure any photos or other evidence is kept safely so they’ll be ready when dealing with claims representatives later on.