Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Water Damage?

Homeowners insurance often covers water damage to certain extents. In the event that water damage occurs to your home, it’s essential that repairs be made immediately and an insurance claim be submitted promptly.

According to the Insurance Information Institute (III), most standard homeowner policies cover sudden, accidental water damage. However, neglect or gradual deterioration due to poor maintenance usually aren’t covered.

Storm-related damage

As storms continue to cause havoc in Southern California, many homeowners are wondering which damages are covered by their home insurance policy. Unfortunately, the answer may not be straightforward.

Homeowner insurance policies vary considerably when it comes to their coverage and deductibles, yet most will offer at least some protection from damage caused by major weather events. Therefore, it’s essential that you understand exactly which events fall under this type of coverage so you can make an informed decision regarding your home insurance needs.

As part of your damage assessment, it’s also important to bear in mind the deductible amount on your home insurance policy before your insurer begins paying claims. Your deductible could either be calculated as a percentage or flat dollar figure based on how you set up your policy; additionally, disagreement between yourself and insurer over whether an item was damaged by wind or water can delay payouts significantly.

A standard homeowners’ policy usually provides coverage for damage that results from sudden and accidental events related to severe weather events, such as rain or hail damage. However, it doesn’t cover flood-related catastrophes unless accompanied with separate flood insurance policy coverage.

Another key element that determines whether or not home insurance will cover damage to your property is whether it’s new. Most policies only cover damage that has recently happened, so if any storm-related damages occur it’s crucial that you notify your agent or insurer promptly.

If you don’t already possess one, obtaining a homeowners’ policy may be in your best interests. A policy will allow you to identify which types of damage are covered while also protecting personal property and liability exposures. Furthermore, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners they recommend taking preventative steps like trimming trees and clearing gutters as well as insulating your home against further potential issues such as flooding and fires.

Frozen pipes

Are You Sure You’re Covered Under Home Owner’s Policies for Frozen Pipes? Depending on how a homeowner handled the situation before and after their pipes burst, an insurance policy may or may not include coverage of frozen pipes. In general, if they were damaged due to an unexpected event like storm, such as breaking loose pipes accidentally during repair efforts by contractors, such as turning off heat during an extreme cold snap; most insurers will probably cover it.

Frozen pipes often manifest themselves when turning on a faucet and only a trickle comes out, or when water pressure decreases or pools around appliances and plumbing fixtures in your home. If this is happening to you, turn off your main water source until the pipes thaw, and take steps to winterize your home so this issue doesn’t reoccur in future years.

Attic and crawl space insulation should be sufficient if they lead to exposed areas like garage or attic, along with opening cabinet doors during cold weather to allow warmer air circulation that prevents pipes from freezing. You could also add insulation around both hot and cold water pipes if you think they may be at risk of freezing.

When your pipes do freeze, report it immediately to your insurance agent and collect photos and videos as evidence for your claim. By taking appropriate actions like placing tarps over roof leaks or shutting off power in the area of flood, such as placing tarps to prevent further harm, it will help your adjuster assess whether you will receive financial compensation for damages to your belongings.

Though your homeowners insurance may cover frozen pipe damage, for optimal results it is wise to work with an experienced insurer who can answer all of your queries and explain your coverage thoroughly. Furthermore, reviewing your homeowners’ policy every year ensures you have enough protection.


Homeowners insurance provides coverage against many events that could impact your home and its contents, yet some incidents won’t be covered. One key exclusion is neglect, or lack of maintenance on your part that leads to gradual damage that becomes evident over time – for instance a slowly leaking pipe in your kitchen may eventually cause mold, dry rot and other issues but insurers won’t pay out unless the issue was sudden such as burst pipe.

Your homeowner policy likely excludes damage caused by water that backs up from sewer systems, drains and sump pumps, while it doesn’t offer protection from floods caused by melting snow, rain storms, river overflow or any other natural cause. To be protected against flooding issues such as these a separate flood insurance policy must be purchased.

If you discover water damage, take immediate steps. This includes clearing away all wet or damaged items even if they won’t be kept; if keeping any, create an inventory to support any claim for reimbursement; take photographs or video footage of all affected areas as quickly as possible to document these events; as well as making notes to assist any insurance claims process.

Neglect is an often misunderstood issue that has profound ramifications for individuals and families alike. While physical neglect such as abandoning disabled children or not providing necessary medical treatment may be catastrophic, emotional neglect and other forms of abuse could be just as destructive to mental and physical wellbeing if not more so.

Prioritize regular property maintenance to protect yourself and your family from water damage that’s often excluded from standard homeowners policies, helping keep the premiums more manageable for everyone. If you have questions about which coverage options might apply in your situation, consult an independent AAA Washington Insurance Agency agent; they’re always more than happy to offer guidance in selecting appropriate solutions for safeguarding both your home and its contents.


Homeowners insurance may cover damage caused by covered events to appliances. For instance, if a fire damages your washer or dryer and causes significant water damage in your home as a result of it leaking into it from its damaged pipes, homeowners insurance might cover it. On the other hand, regular wear-and-tear or lack of maintenance is likely not covered and you will likely have to cover those costs yourself.

Appliances are considered personal property under most standard home insurance policies, and insured up to the amount of your personal property limit. In general, if an appliance falls within your personal property coverage limit, your insurer will cover its replacement at its actual cash value (ACV), taking depreciation into account.

Your homeowner insurance policy could include coverage for appliances in sheds and other structures on your property, and may help cover additional living expenses should these appliances become damaged and make your house uninhabitable while they’re being repaired or replaced.

Dependent upon the nature and cause of damage to your appliance, filing a claim may be possible against your homeowner’s insurance provider for compensation. Keep in mind, though, that many homeowner’s policies require payment of a deductible before coverage kicks in.

Familiarize yourself with your policy’s details and understand what type of water damage coverage exists. Consider purchasing an endorsement or riders to extend coverage in certain scenarios such as sewage backup.

Whenever you have queries about whether your home insurance plan covers a given situation, don’t hesitate to contact us – we are more than happy to assist in protecting your home, appliances and loved ones with adequate homeowners coverage. Get started now – request a quote online or give us a call and get our expert help – we look forward to speaking to you!