A Massachusetts DUI conviction can result in stiff penalties and increased car insurance costs. The average cost of car insurance in Massachusetts before a DUI conviction was $1,223 per year. According to data from Quadrant Information Service, the average cost for car insurance after a DUI conviction is $2,293, an 87% increase each year. Geico has the lowest average premium for full coverage for DUI-convicted drivers, at $1,802.
Understanding the average annual premiums before and after a DWI in Massachusetts conviction from several companies in Massachusetts could help you understand if your premium is competitive. Keep in mind, however, that not all insurance companies will write policies for you if you have a DUI.
Massachusetts DUI laws
Massachusetts law considers a driver legally drunk if their blood alcohol level is higher than.08% for non-commercial drivers over 21. Drivers of commercial vehicles are considered legally drunk if their blood alcohol level exceeds.04 percent. To be considered drunk, drivers under 21 years old need to have a blood alcohol level of.02
The penalties for drunk driving in Massachusetts include the following:
- First offense: A first offense can result in a sentence of up to 2 1/2 years imprisonment, a $500-$5,000 fine and a suspension of your driver’s licence for 45-90 days.
- Second offense: Drivers could face 60-day to two-and-a half years in jail, a $600-to $10,000 fine, and driver’s licence revocation for two year years.
- Third offense: The offender may face 180-day to two-and-a half years in jail, a $1,000-$15,000 fine, and the revocation of an eight year driver’s licence.
- Fourth offense: The offender could face imprisonment for up to 2 1/2 years and a $1,500- $25,000 fine, as well as a driver’s license suspension of up to 10 years.
- Fifth and subsequent offenses: A person will be sentenced to at least two-and-a-half years imprisonment, with a maximum of five years in a state jail. They can also face a $2,000 to $50,000 fine and a driver’s license suspension for life.
What a DUI can do to your Massachusetts car insurance
A DUI conviction in Massachusetts is a criminal offense that is punishable by jail time. If you are convicted of a DUI, insurance companies will likely view you as a high-risk driver. Some Massachusetts insurance companies won’t insure DUI-convicted drivers. This means that you might need to look for a different company.
On average, drivers in Massachusetts convicted of a DUI will pay 87% more for full coverage car insurance, which is in line with the national annual increase of 88%.
After a Massachusetts DUI, you can find car insurance
It can be difficult to find car insurance after a Massachusetts DUI conviction. If you have been convicted of DUI, your car insurance company will likely consider you a high-risk driver. This means that you will pay more for premiums than drivers who have clean records.
Massachusetts drivers have many options for car insurance. This is great news for those with DUIs. Comparing quotes from multiple companies can help you to find a policy that is competitively priced. As you can see, premiums can differ widely among companies.
Questions frequently asked
What will a DUI in Massachusetts do to my criminal record?
In Massachusetts, any first offense for DUI will appear on your criminal record for life. However, you may not be able to request the removal of your DUI from your record.
What can I do to lower my car insurance after getting a DUI in Massachusetts
If you are convicted in Massachusetts of DUI and have higher car insurance premiums, it may be possible to lower your premium by switching car insurance companies and applying for discounts. Discounts that are common include multi-policy discounts, student discounts, paperless discounts, paid-in full, and paid-in-full discounts.
What car insurance companies offer the lowest rates for DUI victims in Massachusetts?
The insurance company you choose and your personal characteristics (e.g. driving record, ZIP code and type of car) will affect the cost of your car insurance premium. Geico, The Hanover, and Progressive are the Massachusetts car insurance companies that offer the best rates for DUI victims.