Geico is most well-known for its auto insurance which covers more than 28,000,000 vehicles. However, it also offers other insurance through its partners. Geico renters insurance, which is not provided by Geico, is provided by third parties. Once you have completed the quote process, you won’t know which insurer you were paired with.
If you have Geico car insurance, you might want to look into Geico’s renters policy options. You can get a discount by buying both your auto and renters policies through Geico.
Geico Renters Insurance
Unlike its car insurance policies, Geico renters insurance is serviced and underwritten by other companies.
Geico Insurance Agency acts as a broker and matches you with one its 20+ renters insurance partner companies, including well-known names like Liberty Mutual or Travelers. You don’t have the option to choose which company is matched with you.
You can log into your Geico account to view information about your renters insurance, but you will need to make any claims directly to the third-party insurer.
Geico Renters Insurance Coverage
You will need to check with Geico to determine the exact coverage you have. However, most standard renters policies include the following:
- Protection for your personal property in the event of theft or damage during a natural disaster
- You are covered for any lawsuit damages, legal fees and medical payments if you inflict injury on someone’s property or cause damage to their home.
- If you have to leave your home during a disaster, coverage will cover the cost of living expenses.
Many insurers offer additional coverage options that can be added to your policy, beyond the basic coverage.
- You will be covered for replacement costs for your belongings. This means you will get paid for the cost of new items, not the cost of replacing your phone after 3 years.
- Additional coverage is available for jewelry and valuables that are not covered by your renters policy.
- Most renters policies do not cover flood, earthquake, or any other coverage for natural disasters.
- Home workers who are subject to business liability or merchandise coverage
Geico renters insurance discounts
Geico will offer a discount for your car if you have it insured. The third-party insurance company that offers your renters policy will determine what discounts you are eligible for.
Many insurance companies offer discounts for homes with smoke alarms, fire extinguishers or sprinkler systems.
Learn more about Geico
Website:Geico’s website allows you to get a quote for renters insurance, calculate the value of your belongings, and learn basic information about coverage options and discounts. A list of Geico’s partners in renters insurance can be found on the site.
Insurance:Geico also sells many other types of insurance. Most of these are underwritten by third parties.