How Insurance Companies Determine Fault?

When it comes to car accidents, there is always the question of who is at fault. This can be a difficult question to answer, as there are many factors that come into play. However, insurance companies have their own methods for determining who is at fault in an accident. In this blog post, we will explore how insurance companies determine fault in an accident. We will look at the various factors they take into consideration and how this can impact your claim. Read on to learn more about how insurance companies determine fault and what you can do if you think you were wrongfully blamed for an accident.

How Insurance Companies Investigate an Accident

Insurance companies have their own methods of investigating an accident, but there are some common steps they take. The first step is to gather information from all parties involved in the accident, as well as any witnesses. This includes getting a copy of the police report, if one was filed. The next step is to inspect the damage to all vehicles involved and take photos. Insurance adjusters will also look at the scene of the accident to look for things like skid marks or debris. They may also talk to eyewitnesses to get their account of what happened.

After all this information has been gathered, the insurance company will start to determine who was at fault for the accident. They will look at all the evidence and try to piece together what happened. Often, insurance companies will assign a percentage of fault to each party involved. For example, if one driver ran a red light and hit another car, they may be assigned 80% fault and the other driver may be assigned 20% fault.

The Different Methods Insurance Companies Use to Determine Fault

There are a number of different methods insurance companies use to determine fault. One common method is to review the police report. The police report will often contain information about who was at fault for the accident. Insurance companies will also often speak to witnesses to get their version of events. They may also review any video footage that is available, such as from security cameras or dash cameras. In some cases, they may hire an accident reconstruction expert to help determine what happened.

The Pros and Cons of Each Method

There are a few different methods that insurance companies use to determine fault in an accident. Each has its own pros and cons, so it’s important to understand how each works before you make a claim.

The most common method is the “fault determination rules” or “tort rules.” These rules are set by each state and they vary slightly, but the general idea is that the person who caused the accident is responsible for the damages. This means that if you were hit by another driver who ran a red light, that driver would be at fault.

The main pro of this system is that it’s usually pretty easy to determine who was at fault. The con is that it can sometimes be unfair, especially if the person who caused the accident didn’t mean to do it. For example, if you get rear-ended by another driver, it’s not always clear who was at fault. Was the other driver following too closely? Or were you stopped too suddenly? The tort system can also be hard on people who cause accidents but don’t have much money to pay for damages.

Another method insurance companies use to determine fault is called “no-fault” or “personal injury protection (PIP).” This system is used in some states and it means that each person’s insurance company pays for their own damages, no matter who caused the accident.


There you have it! These are the ways that insurance companies determine fault in an accident. While every company has their own methods, these are some of the most common ways that they assess blame. Remember, being proactive and taking measures to avoid accidents is always the best policy. If you do find yourself in an accident, make sure to contact your insurance company as soon as possible so that they can begin their investigation.