Is Palate Expander Covered By Insurance?

Palate expanders are a type of orthodontic appliance used to widen the upper arch of the mouth in order to better align the teeth. They are most commonly used in children and adolescents, but can be used in adults as well. If you’re considering getting a palate expander, one of your first questions is likely to be “is palate expander covered by insurance?” Unfortunately, the answer is not always a straightforward “yes” or “no.” In this blog post, we will explore the factors that affect whether or not your insurance will cover a palate expander.

What is a palate expander?

A palate expander is a device that is placed in the mouth to help widen the palate (roof of the mouth). This can be done for both cosmetic and functional reasons. Some people may need their palate expanded in order to improve their speech or to make room for braces. Palate expanders can also be used to correct a birth defect or injury.

Most insurance companies will cover the cost of a palate expander if it is considered medically necessary. However, if you are getting one for cosmetic reasons, you will likely have to pay for it yourself. The cost of a palate expander varies depending on the type of device and the individual’s needs, but it typically ranges from $500 to $2000.

How does a palate expander work?

A palate expander is a device that is used to widen the upper jaw. It consists of two plates that fit over the molars and are connected by a screw in the middle. The screw is turned slowly, which causes the plates to move apart, thereby widening the space between the molars. This widens the arch of the palate and makes room for the adult teeth to come in.

Does insurance cover palate expanders?

If you have a child who needs a palate expander, you may be wondering if insurance will cover the cost. The good news is that many insurance plans do cover palate expanders, although there may be some restrictions.

Some insurance plans may require you to get pre-authorization before treatment begins. This means that your child’s doctor will need to submit a request to the insurance company, detailing why the palate expander is needed. The insurance company will then review the request and determine whether or not they will approve coverage.

In some cases, insurance companies may only cover a portion of the cost of treatment. For example, they may pay 80% of the total cost, leaving you responsible for the remaining 20%. Be sure to check with your specific insurance plan to see what their coverage policies are.

If you have questions about whether or not your insurance plan will cover palate expanders, please contact us and we would be happy to help!

How much does a palate expander cost without insurance?

The cost of a palate expander without insurance can vary depending on the type of expander and the complexity of the case. The average cost of a simple expander is around $1,500. However, this does not include the cost of professional teeth cleanings and other necessary dental work that may be required before or after treatment. In some cases, the cost of a palate expander can be as high as $5,000.


In short, the answer to the question “is palate expander covered by insurance?” is that it depends on your individual insurance plan. Some plans may cover the cost of the device in full, while others may only cover a portion of the cost. It’s important to check with your insurance provider to find out exactly what is and is not covered under your plan.