Nationwide renters insurance policies offer more than the basic. Nationwide policies offer standard coverage options that are not available in other policies. Nationwide also offers a consumer-first experience, allowing you to submit and track your claims through its mobile app.
Nationwide renters insurance received 4.5 stars overall for performance. Our editorial team determines NerdWallet’s ratings. The formula for calculating renters insurance scores takes into consideration policy coverage options and discounts as well as ease of filing claims, website transparency, financial strength, and complaint data from National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Renters insurance coverage nationwide
Nationwide includes the four standard forms of renters insurance coverage in all policies: property, loss of use, personal liability and medical payments to others. It also offers two types coverage that are not offered by other insurers:
- Additions and alterationsThis covers damage to your home’s elements that were updated or improved while you are there.
- Credit card coverageYou will be reimbursed up to a certain amount for any unauthorized transactions on your debit or credit card or if you are the victim of counterfeit money or checks forged.
Nationwide offers several types of optional coverage.
- New and exclusive itemsNationwide pays you in two steps for stolen or damaged items. Nationwide pays the difference after you have repaired or replaced the item.
- Valuables plusThis provides additional coverage for expensive items such as art and jewelry.
- Water backupThis covers damage caused by backed-up drains or sewers.
- Extension of theftAdditional coverage is available for personal items inside a motor vehicle, trailer, or watercraft.
- EarthquakePaying for earthquake damage
Renters insurance rates for the entire nation
NerdWallet compared Nationwide’s average annual renters insurance rate with four major competitors in different ZIP codes across the United States. Nationwide was second at $205 per annum, nearly $40 higher than the national average of $168.
Nationwide renters insurance discounts
Nationwide provides standard discounts for renters insurance. These include:
- Multi-policy discountBundling renters insurance with an additional Nationwide policy such as auto insurance.
- Protective devices discountFor homes equipped with smoke detectors, fire alarms, and other devices.
- Claims-free discountIf you haven’t filed any claims in the past,
Consumer complaints about national renters insurance
According to data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, Nationwide had nearly the same number of home insurance complaints as expected for its size. (NAIC home insurance complaints also include mobile homes, condo, and renters policies.
Nationwide consumer experience
Website:Nationwide offers online quotes for all states where renters policies are available. You can also track and submit claims, and access a wide range of educational content.
AppendicesNationwide is available on both Android and iOS. You can submit claims and track them, as well manage your payments.
Questions about Nationwide Renters Insurance FAQ
What are the other types of insurance Nationwide offers?
Nationwide also offers a variety of other insurance options, including but certainly not limited to:
- Condo and homeowners
- Auto and motorcycle
- Personal watercraft and boat
Can you combine Nationwide auto-renters and renters insurance?
Yes, Nationwide offers a multipolicy discount for having both renters and auto insurance coverage.
How can you file a Nationwide renters’ insurance claim?
You can make a claim by calling Nationwide’s claims team, sending information via Nationwide’s website or the mobile app.
What does Nationwide renters’ insurance cover?
The standard policy covers your stuff, personal liability, medical payments to others injured on your property, additional living expenses if you have to stay elsewhere because of a covered incident, improvements made to your home since you’ve lived there, and a limited number of unauthorized transactions on your credit or bank card. There are several optional add-ons.