State Farm is most well-known for its auto insurance, but it also provides quality renters insurance. State Farm’s renters policy is one of the most trusted in the country. It has very few complaints, allows you to track and file claims online, and offers a wide range of coverage options.
State Farm Renters Insurance received 4.5 stars overall for performance. Our editorial team determines NerdWallet ratings. The formula for calculating renters insurance scores takes into consideration policy coverage options and discounts as well as ease of filing claims, website transparency, financial strength, and complaint data from National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Renters insurance from State Farm
State Farm renters insurance policies include the following coverage options: personal property coverage, liability, loss of use coverage, and medical payments coverage.
Every State Farm renters policy includes replacement cost coverage. This covers the current market value of your property, regardless of how much it depreciates — compared with a standard policy, which covers the actual cash value of lost or destroyed property. You can opt to only cover the actual cash value and receive a credit to your account.
State Farm renters insurance also includes inflation coverage. This freebie adjusts your personal property coverage to reflect inflation. Coverage limits may apply to certain personal property such as jewelry, furs and silverware, as well firearms.
State Farm has coverage options available that may be added for an additional fee.
- Waterbed liability coverage to cover damage from waterbeds
- Insurance coverage for identity theft. This policy will pay for identity fraud, cyberattacks and extortion.
A State Farm agent can help you increase your renters insurance coverage beyond what is offered on the website portal. You may also be able buy add-ons such as:
- Additional insurance coverage. You can add additional renters to your policy for an additional cost.
- Backup coverage for sewer or drain water, which covers damage to your belongings due to water backing up through drains or sewers.
- Indemnity business coverage that covers injuries to others in an office, private school, or studio you rent.
- The professional liability insurance for nurses covers costs incurred by registered nurses, licensed practical nurse or vocational nurses.
- Personal injury liability coverage covers personal injuries that you cause unintentionally to another person.
State Farm has additional policies available that go beyond the standard renters policy. These include:
- Renters insurance won’t cover earthquake damage.
- You can also purchase additional business property coverage to cover personal property that you use for business purposes.
- You can add additional liability coverage (also known as a personal umbrella policy) to provide coverage for unanticipated events such as a lawsuit or large claim.
State Farm renters insurance discounts
State Farm offers two discounts for renters in terms of discount:
- Multiple policy discount when you bundle a renters insurance policy with a State Farm auto insurance policy.
- Renters who have home protection devices like smoke detectors, deadbolt locks and anti-theft alarm systems will receive a discount
State Farm Renters Insurance complaints
According to data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, State Farm received fewer home insurance complaints than it was expected. This is based on three years of data. (NAIC home insurance complaints also cover mobile homes, condo, and renter policies.
Learn more about State Farm
Website: The State Farm website is simple to navigate and provides detailed information about how renters insurance policies work. Online quotes are available. You can also use the quote checklist to help you prepare.
The State Farm website provides a step-by-step guide on how to create a home inventory. Its contents calculator can also help you determine how much personal property insurance you need. The State Farm agent search tool can help you locate nearby agents. It is also available in Spanish.
Mobile app: With the State Farm mobile app, you can file and track claims and view and manage policies. Apple Pay or Android Pay can be used to pay your monthly bills.
Claim filing: Claims can now be filed online, via the State Farm mobile app, or by calling your State Farm agent 24/7.
State availability: State Farm offers renters’ insurance in all 50 States.