We’re All Going on a Summer Holiday Or Are We?

You should make sure that your car insurance policy covers you if your vehicle is involved in an accident or for breakdown.

Marks & Spencer Money’s research revealed that only one fifth of the motorists who took their cars to holiday had purchased the right coverage in case their car broke down. Only a third of them were covered against theft or damage. Most motorists don’t realize that their comprehensive policy does not cover them on British soil. Only one in ten policies includes European breakdown coverage. It is a good idea to shop around for the best motor coverage deals. You might also want to ask your neighbors about the cost and where they bought their motor insurance.

Insurance policies that do not provide minimum third-party coverage will typically only cover driving within the UK. Comprehensive policies such as Endsleigh, esure and Churchill will still be valid on the Continent. M&S Money’s motor policy includes breakdown and comprehensive coverage. However, all policies will require you to verify how many days you are covered for driving abroad. Most policies will cover you for up to 90 days. However, some will only allow you to drive abroad for 30 days.

You should also check if the country you are planning to visit is covered by your insurance company for driving abroad. The rules for countries within the EU’s jurisdiction will be the same as those in the UK. This includes Switzerland. You can purchase comprehensive coverage abroad if you’re not traveling to the EU. It is worth looking into full coverage as thieves are more inclined to target foreign-plate cars. You are also more likely to be involved in an accident if you drive in unfamiliar areas.

The RAC and AA offer separate policies that you can buy for a lower price if your policy does not allow you to include European breakdown coverage. Prices for the AA start at about PS64.80 for a two-week holiday for a family with four people in mainland Europe. Annual coverage starts at PS117, which covers up to 90 days. The RAC covers you and up seven people in 47 countries with breakdown coverage. The cost of policies starts at PS10 per day. However, it is dependent on how many people you travel with, the age and location of your vehicle, as well as when you plan to be away. Peak periods or holidays may increase the cost. Discounts are available to members of the AA or RAC. You can also get 10% off your policy if you purchase it online.

The following are the basics to remember when driving abroad: Most insurance companies will not cover drivers under 21 years old. You must also have your original driving license, vehicle registration documentation, an updated MOT certificate, and a GB sticker if necessary. You may need a first aid kit or a triangle of caution in some countries in the event you are in an accident. Make sure you take the right precautions to ensure a safe journey.