What To Do If Your Homeowners Insurance Has Dumped You In California?

If you’re a homeowner in California, you may be wondering what to do if your homeowners insurance has been cancelled or non-renewed. Homeowners insurance is not required by law in California, but your mortgage lender will probably require you to have it. There are a number of reasons why your homeowners insurance might be cancelled or non-renewed, but the most common reason is that your home is located in an area that’s considered high risk for wildfires. If you live in a high-risk area and your policy has been cancelled, you may have difficulty finding another insurer that’s willing to provide coverage. In this blog post, we’ll explore what to do if your homeowners insurance has been cancelled or non-renewed in California. We’ll also provide some tips on how to find replacement coverage.

What to do if your homeowners insurance company has dumped you?

If you’ve been dropped by your homeowners insurance company, don’t panic. There are plenty of other options available to you.

First, try to find out why you were dropped. It could be something as simple as a clerical error that can be easily fixed. If it’s something more serious, like non-payment of premiums, you’ll need to take care of that before shopping for new coverage.

Once you know why you were dropped, start shopping around for new coverage. There are plenty of insurers out there who would be happy to have your business. Get quotes from several companies and compare rates before selecting a policy.

Make sure you understand the terms of the policy before signing on the dotted line. You don’t want to end up in the same situation a few months down the road.

If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out to a professional insurance agent for help. They can guide you through the process and make sure you get the coverage you need at a price you can afford.

How to find a new homeowners insurance company?

If your homeowners insurance company has dumped you in California, there are a few things you can do to find a new one. The first step is to contact the Department of Insurance for your state and ask for a list of insurers that are licensed to sell homeowners insurance in your state.

Once you have a list of companies, you can start contacting them to get quotes. Be sure to ask each company about their policy coverage, deductibles, and premium costs. You should also ask if the company has any discounts or specials that could save you money on your policy.

When you’re ready to choose a new homeowners insurance company, be sure to compare all of the quotes you’ve received before making a decision. Choosing the cheapest policy might not always be the best idea – sometimes it’s worth paying a little more for better coverage. Ultimately, the best way to find a new homeowners insurance company is to shop around and compare as many options as possible until you find the right fit for your needs and budget.

What factors to consider when choosing a new homeowners insurance company?

There are a lot of different factors that you need to take into account when you are trying to choose a new homeowners insurance company. Some of the most important things that you need to think about include:

-How much coverage do you need?
-What is your budget?
-What kind of reputation does the company have?
-What is the claims process like?
-What discounts are available?

You also need to make sure that you are comparing apples to apples when you are looking at different homeowners insurance companies. Make sure that you are looking at policies with the same amount of coverage and deductibles so that you can really compare them properly.

How to file a complaint against your old homeowners insurance company?

If you’re a California homeowner who has been dropped by your insurance company, you have options. You can file a complaint with the California Department of Insurance (CDI).

Here’s how to file a complaint with the CDI:

Go to the CDI website and fill out an online form. Include as much detail as possible about your situation.

You can also call the CDI at 1-800-927-4357 and request a complaint form. Once you’ve completed the form, return it to the CDI by mail, fax, or email.

The CDI will investigate your complaint and take action if they find that your insurance company acted improperly.


If your homeowners insurance has dumped you in California, there are a few things you can do. You can try to find another insurance company that will cover you, or you can try to get the state to agree to provide insurance for you. You can also try to work with your mortgage company to see if they have any options for you. Whatever you do, don’t just give up and let your home go uninsured. There are options out there for you, so make sure to explore all of them.