Who is Eligible to Enroll in the Johns Hopkins Student Health Insurance Plan?


Johns Hopkins University requires all students to have comprehensive health insurance. Students are automatically enrolled in the student health benefits plan at the beginning of each academic year. Students can opt out of the school plan if they are covered by a plan similar to the University’s. International students with F1/J1 visa status must purchase the student health benefit plan. They are not eligible for waiver of coverage.

Log into your SIS account to request a waiver of the school-sponsored insurance plan.

For questions regarding the student health benefits plan, contact the Student Health Benefits Team in the Office of the Registrar at 410-516-8080.

Upload private insurance card

  1. Log in to the Student Health WebPortal
  2. Click the Upload Document tab
  3. Choose the type of document you want (insurance card), then browse to select the file and hit “save”.
  4. The message “Upload Success!” will appear. Now your document has been uploaded.


Students are not charged for visits to the Student Health and Wellness Center. For immunizations and prescriptions as well as supplies, there are fees. For more information, review our formulary (PDF).

Office visits

Office visits are free of charge. Students visiting the university and not paying tuition may use the Student Health & Wellness Center’s services on a fee basis. For an initial visit, the fee is $50 and for follow-up visits $30.


We carry a small number of pre-packaged, commonly prescribed pharmaceuticals for your convenience. Review our formulary for a complete list of medications and pricing.

If your prescription has been prescribed by a SHWC healthcare provider and is included in our formulary, you may be able to buy your prescription at the SHWC. If your health insurance has a pharmacy plan with a co-pay for prescription drugs, you should purchase them from a local pharmacy.

Medical Supplies

We have some medical supplies such as hand splints and air casts. However, these items must be prescribed to us by a SHWC provider.

Private insurance companies do not bill students. Students with private insurance, including post-doctoral students, must pay out-of-pocket for any immunizations, medications, and request a receipt to be reimbursed.

Please let Student Health and Wellness Center know if you are a member of an HMO, PPO or another managed care plan before ordering or referring for services like lab tests or specialty consultations.


The SHWC accepts a variety of forms of payment.

  • Cash
  • Check out
  • J-Card
  • Credit card
  • Bursar billing is not available to Peabody Post-docs or students at Peabody.

Notice: Credit card and student account charges are marked with the following: “Student Health & Wellness Center Charge”

Additional Fees

Students are responsible for charges incurred by providers of care outside of the SHWC for services such as hospital emergency room visits, specialists’ fees, laboratory/diagnostic tests, and x-rays.

These charges are often covered by your insurance. We can help you reduce the cost of services if you have school insurance. Please inform your provider if you have an HMO, or another type of managed care plan that requires that you visit a specific facility for laboratory work or other x-rays. This will allow them to direct you to the right facility and save you and your parents additional costs.

Medical Records Copies

Maryland law (Health General Sec. 4-304 allows doctors to charge patients or the patient’s “personal representative” a fee for copying medical documents. Inflation may cause the charges to be adjusted annually. The following are the updated maximum rates, effective July 1, 2011,:

  • Copying fees for medical records are not exceeding.76 cents per page

Unpaid medical fees may not prevent a provider from providing the records.

Information obtained from the Maryland Board of Physicians website, December 5, 2011.