In 1937, the Progressive Insurance Company started selling automobile insurance. Today, Progressive is the third largest U.S. insurer. Progressive has assets of over $56 billion and generated $39 billion revenue in 2019.
Progressive provides a complete portfolio of individual and commercial insurance policies, as well as financial products such mortgages and personal loans. Customers can request an insurance quote online, file a claim, and shop for prices using the Progressive mobile app or website. Progressive might be worth considering if you’re looking for insurance and prefer to control the process.
Progressive car insurance
Types of coverage
- Bodily injury and property damage liability: If you’re at fault in an accident, your liability coverage will help pay the medical expenses and repair costs of the other driver. Minimum liability coverage is required by state law.
- Comprehensive: State laws don’t require drivers to carry comprehensive insurance, but if you finance a vehicle, the lender probably will require it. Comprehensive car insurance covers any non-collision damage or losses. Comprehensive insurance covers you if your car is stolen or damaged by a storm.
- Collision: Like comprehensive coverage, states don’t require you to purchase collision insurance, but lenders require it for financed vehicles. Collision insurance covers the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle after a collision.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist bodily injury and property damage: If an uninsured or underinsured driver causes an accident, this type of coverage will help pay your medical expenses and repair costs. You may be required to have uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage in some states.
- Medical payments: Medical payments coverage, also called personal injury protection, pays the medical or funeral expenses of you and your passengers following a collision. PIP coverage is required by some states.
Progressive offers optional coverages, which are not mandatory, that provide drivers with additional protection.
- Equipment value and custom parts: Many car owners add extra equipment to their cars, such as a stereo system or navigation system. Standard car insurance does not cover this type of equipment. Progressive covers customizations up to $5,000 with its custom parts and equipment coverage.
- Progressive deductible savings bank: Progressive will reduce your comprehensive and collision deductibles by $50 for each policy period that you are claims-free. However, this is only available if you select the deductible savings banking option.
- Leasing/loan payment: When a vehicle is involved in an accident, insurance companies will only pay the cash value. The owner of a leased car or financed vehicle may owe more to the lender or leasing company than the claim will pay. Progressive’s lease/loan payment coverage fills the gap between the amount the insurance company pays you and what you owe on your lease or loan.
- Rental car reimbursement: If your car needs repairs after a covered accident, Progressive’s rental car reimbursement coverage can help offset the cost of renting a vehicle.
- Rideshare: Rideshare companies offer some insurance coverage for drivers and their vehicles. The coverage they offer covers your vehicle and you only during trips that are requested by customers. Progressive’s rideshare coverage bridges the gap. It extends your personal car insurance to cover you and your vehicle when you log in to your ridesharing app but not for passengers.
- Roadside assistance: When you have a flat tire, need a tow or lock yourself out of your automobile, Progressive’s roadside assistance can come to the rescue.
Cost of Progressive car insurance
The average annual car insurance premium for full coverage is $1,509. The price of full coverage will vary depending on where you live, what type of car you have and who your insurance provider is. Progressive is not the most affordable provider on the market but offers a lower cost than the average.
Progressive offers a variety of programs and discounts that will help you lower your premium, without sacrificing coverage.
Progressive offers several ways for you to reduce your car insurance premium, including the following discounts:
- Automated payment
- Continuous insurance
- Distant student
- Good student
- Online quote
- Documents that are paperless
- Register online
- Teen driver
The Progressive Snapshot program is the insurer’s more recent discount program that leverages technology to help you save even more money. You can download the Snapshot app on your smartphone, or put a device in your car. The app or device uses GPS and sensors to track your driving habits and reward safe driving behaviour with lower premiums.
Progressive home insurance
Many insurance companies offer discounts for multiple policies. While shopping for auto insurance, also get a quote for a Progressive homeowners policy to see how much you can save. While Progressive offers home insurance, they are not underwritten by the third-party providers that service the claims.
Types of coverage
Progressive’s standard home insurance policies include:
- Dwelling coverage: If your house sustains damage, dwelling coverage can help pay rebuild or repair costs.
- Loss of use coverage: Homeowners sometimes need to move out of their houses following a covered calamity. While your home is being reconstructed, loss of use coverage may help you pay for your hotel and meals.
- Medical payments coverage: This coverage will pay for the medical bills of someone who sustains injuries in their home or yard.
- Other structures coverage: Your dwelling coverage pays only to replace or repair your house. Other structures coverage covers detached garages, fences, and sheds.
- Personal liability coverage: This coverage helps pay legal costs if someone sues for an injury to your property.
- Personal property coverage: This coverage covers the cost of replacing furniture or clothing. Progressive has limits on the types of property that can be covered, but you can also add coverage for more expensive items like artwork, jewelry, and musical instruments.
Optional coverages are available for progressive homeowners policyholders.
- Personal injury coverage: This coverage will cover your legal expenses in certain circumstances, such as wrongful arrest, false arrest, slander or libel.
- Water backup coverage: While dwelling coverage doesn’t cover damages due to sump pumps or sewer back ups, Progressive’s optional water backup coverage does.
Progressive home insurance: What is the cost?
Your lender may require you to have homeowners insurance if you have a mortgage. While you can have your lender select the coverage, it is cheaper to get quotes from multiple providers and buy your own homeowners insurance. A Progressive homeowners insurance policy covering a $250,000 house is $1,141. Progressive offers discounts that may help you find lower rates than the average, but these can vary from one state to another.
Progressive offers an online tool called the HomeQuote Explorer that allows you to compare rates from its affiliates as well as third-party companies. Ask about discounts when comparing your quote. These discounts are available to qualified homeowners
- Safety device and alarm system
- Bundled home and auto insurance
- Documents-by email
- Construction of a new home
- Purchase a new home
Progressive life insurance
Progressive does not provide life insurance coverage, but it partners with Efinancial to help customers choose from different brands of life insurance. These include AIG, Fidelity Insurance, John Hancock Insurance and Mutual of Omaha.
Efinancial will be your agent if you purchase life insurance from Progressive. This may seem like a red flag, but Efinancial and Progressive are both highly rated and have a history of providing excellent customer service.
Types of coverage
Progressive and Efinancial offer four types of life insurance policies. These are:
- Term life insurance: An affordable option, term life insurance can be set to a fixed length of time, typically 10, 20 or 30 years.
- Whole life insurance: This type of permanent insurance has fixed premiums as well as a growing cash value you can borrow against.
- Universal life insurance: This coverage option offers flexible premiums and a death benefit. It also includes a cash value component and lasts for a lifetime.
- Final expense insurance: This policy covers funerals and burials, as well as any legal or medical bills that beneficiaries may have to pay.
Reviews, progressive ratings, customer satisfaction, and complaints
Market research firm J.D. Power & Associates studies the U.S. market for insurance. The company ranks among the top 10 according to J.D. Power’s 2020 U.S. Auto Insurance Study was conducted in every U.S. state except one. ASI Progressive, its subsidiary, was ranked among the best companies by J.D. Power’s home insurance research. Progressive is not rated for life insurance, as it doesn’t sell its policies.
BBB receives most customer complaints about billing or product or service issues. Positive reviews about progressive insurance are common.
Progressive is a great choice
For good drivers, progressive car insurance is a great option. Its Snapshot program monitors your driving habits and offers discounts for good drivers. Progressive’s website offers a “Name Your Price” tool that matches your auto insurance needs with the right price.
Accident Forgiveness is another great option. You can get your rate reduced after an accident, even though it was your fault. These benefits may vary from one state to the next, but they can help protect your rate if you are involved in an at-fault accident.
Progressive’s standard renters and home policies provide the best coverages. However, there are no optional coverages. Some providers offer better options such as replacement cost and identity theft coverages. Progressive is a good choice if you are looking for standard coverage for your home, with multiple discounts and other types of policies.
Progressive also offers additional policies
Progressive sells insurance for auto, home, and renters.
- Classic car
- Golf cart
- Mobile home
Questions frequently asked
What are the steps to receive a quote from Progressive
You can get a quote from Progressive by entering your ZIP code and answering a few questions about you driving record and vehicle.
Progressive offers discounts on bundling policies
Progressive will usually offer a discount for multiple types of policies. Keep in mind, however, that not all policies can be underwritten or serviced by Progressive.
How can I file a claim against Progressive?
Progressive claims are simple to file. To file a claim, log in to your account or use the mobile app. You can also call the toll-free number.
What is the average time it takes Progressive to settle a claim?
It is possible for a claim to take longer than expected depending on what type it is. If you file a claim to fix a cracked windshield, the process can be completed in a matter of days. If you file a claim for your home, however, you might need to obtain estimates and set up an appointment with a Progressive adjuster. This could take several days or even weeks.