Finding car insurance in New Hampshire after a DUI

There are a few other ways to save on your car insurance despite having a DWI on your New Hampshire driving record. Here are some tips that may help you out.

  • Bundle multiple insurance policies
  • Get a higher deductible to lower your overall premium
  • Enroll in automatic payments
  • Pay your premium annually instead of monthly

Above all else, patience and good driving habits going forward will save you even more. As time passes, you will see your insurance rates decrease if you maintain a clean driving record.

Frequently asked questions

How will a DUI in New Hampshire impact my criminal record?

A DWI in New Hampshire is considered a criminal offense. Even a first-time offender with no additional aggravated charges will face a Class B misdemeanor charge in court. However, jail time is only considered for repeat offenders or drivers who committed additional aggravated offenses, like driving while intoxicated with a minor in the car. All DWI offenses, regardless of severity, come with a fine and a suspended or revoked license.

How long does a DUI stay on your record in New Hampshire?

New Hampshire has a 10-year lookback period. That means once you have one DWI on your record, you will be considered a repeat offender for any additional DWIs within the next 10 years. Should you get another DWI, you will face harsher penalties, higher fines and possible jail time.

How do you get a DWI expunged in New Hampshire?

It is possible to file for an annulment of your DWI, but you must wait 10 years after being convicted. The record itself stays in your file but is not released unless you are convicted of another crime so that the information can be used for sentencing. If you successfully annul your DWI and apply for a job or anything else that requires a criminal background check, that potential employer would not see the DWI on your New Hampshire record.

To successfully file for a DWI annulment, you need to fill out the paperwork with the court in which you were convicted, and they must approve the annulment. The filing fee is at least $125, and you may also opt to hire a lawyer to help you through the process.