USAA was founded in 1922 among a group of Army officers who agreed to insure each group member’s vehicle. To this day, USAA continues to focus solely on military families and has now expanded to become the fifth largest auto insurance carrier. Although the corporate office is located in San Antonio Texas, the carrier has other offices all over the country.
Liberty Mutual is another massive-sized insurance carrier, ranking as the sixth largest auto insurance provider behind USAA. It was founded in 1912, but did not write the first auto insurance policy until 1918. Now Liberty Mutual offers a vast array of insurance products and earns almost $44 billion in annual revenue.
Both companies offer similar products but one company might offer more benefits to some customers.
USAA vs Liberty Mutual – Car insurance rates comparison
While exact datas rates with Liberty Mutual are not available like they are with USAA, there are other categories where the differences are highlighted between the carriers. USAA scores higher on the Bankrate score, and with AM Best’s financial strength rating. USAA also receives a higher scoring average with the JD Power survey for overall customer satisfaction.
Rates based on credit score
Your credit score is an important factor in determining your rate with most carriers. USAA is no exception. Your premiums will be lower if you have a higher credit score. It should be noted the states of California, Hawaii and Massachusetts do not allow a person’s credit score to be factored into rate determinations.
Rates based on age
Rates are affected by age. Rates with USAA and other carriers tend to peak around 18 years of age — possibly when drivers no longer have their parent’s insurance. As drivers age, rates tend to decline.
Driving record rates
You will benefit from lower average rates, regardless of whether you are covered by USAA or Liberty Mutual. A DUI conviction, speeding ticket or accident can all lead to a premium increase.
USAA vs Liberty Mutual – Discounts
Both USAA and Liberty Mutual offer multiple discounts for added savings on premiums. Both offer multi-vehicle discounts, multi-policy discounts, and good student discounts. Liberty Mutual offers more than that, with discounts available online. Purchasing your policy online may qualify for an additional 12% savings, according to the Liberty Mutual website.
- Loyalty lengthUSAA will give you a greater discount for being loyal to them. The number of years that you have been a USAA policyholder determines the discount.
- There are no payment plans feesMany carriers permit you to spread your payments over a time period, such as monthly, quarterly or annual. However, it is not common for them to charge fees. This option is free of charge for policyholders at USAA.
- Loyalty of parents:You will receive a loyalty discount if your parents have had a USAA policy for at most five years.
- HomeownersYou may be eligible for a discount if you own a house.
- Alternative fuelYou may be eligible for a discount if you own an electric or hybrid car.
- Early shoppersYou may be eligible for additional savings if you renew your policy prior to your current policy expiring.
USAA vs Liberty Mutual – Online and Mobile Experience Comparison
Both USAA and Liberty Mutual offer full service and policy management both with the online portal and mobile app. Both let you file claims online, track the claims process and pay via the app. Liberty Mutual’s app has a few more features. You can request a rental car or schedule a damage review.
- 4.8/5: The USAA App receives mostly positive feedback. Most people comment on how simple the app is and how good the customer service overall.
- 4.5/5: Although it offers the same features, the Android version is not as highly rated than the Apple one. The app freezes frequently and requires updates are the main complaints.
- 4.8/5: Customers have praised the Liberty Mutual app’s performance. It is easy to use and you can do many tasks via it. This is the biggest plus.
- 4.5/5: You can perform the same tasks here as in Apple’s version. Customers love how simple it is to use Android and find all the information you need to create a policy.
Questions frequently asked
What is the average price of car insurance?
The average cost of car insurance is $1,674 annually for a full coverage policy. Your annual rates may be higher or lower depending upon a number of factors. When determining premiums, your age, zip code and driving record are all considered.
Is USAA more expensive than Liberty Mutual?
USAA offers competitive rates for a variety of situations. It is possible to get lower premiums than Liberty Mutual if you meet the eligibility requirements of USAA.
How do I obtain a quote?
Liberty Mutual and USAA offer online options. You can also call the customer service number to get a quote. To be eligible for USAA coverage, you must be either a current military member, veteran, or a member of their immediate families.